Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the Trad Forum loop for a while, but I thought I'd tip you all off to this ebay seller: Campbell Cooper Countrywear

Offers some great stuff, among them the above linked waxed cotton jackets, as well as some quilt jackets and othet Barbour-like fare at great prices. What do you think?

·
Banned
8,013 Posts
I think that stating in the item description "Made in England" is a bit more than an implication. Do you know something we don't?
Ah, I'm surprised one has to dig for it. I saw;

Campbell Cooper Countrywear
Maintained by: campbellcooper01
( 8805
)
Campbell Cooper produce English styled Countrywear for the traditional and classic markets. Our craftsmen and women are proud to make by hand using traditional and classic materials, technical garments that are good for the most extreme environments.

See "English Stlyed"

But it is specified here;

Brand New English Wax Cotton 3/4 length Jacket
Colour Olive Green
Size Large 44 inches
This is the Heavy weight wax cotton jacket. Comes withFree detachable hood included. 100% wax cotton Outer 100% cotton tartan lining. Made in England by respected makers Campbell Cooper. Super Quality and BRAND NEW
Order Now Free Detachable Hood Made in England

For
Approximately US $47.80??

Why not??

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
That reads as though the detachable hood is made in England...

If I were to make a wax jacket, it would be terrible, but it would still be made in England.

ANYWAY, they actually look not too bad.
Both the and the company website state that their jackets are made in England. I'm not vouching for them in any way. In fact I had never heard of them before today. But it seems pretty clear to me that, either their products are made in England, or they're lying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"We are a Classic British Countrywear and Outdoorwear Retailer and have been making Classic Wax Jackets in England for over 35 years." I'd call it case closed unless they are into outright lies. The selection of styles isn't as good as Barbour, but it seems like their "Classic Wax Cotton Jacket" could stand for a Bedale at $55 new .

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I've also checked their ebay store and they've got some jackets for $25. They're poly-cotton and probably nowhere near the quality of a Baracuta, but for a knockaround jacket, the price is hard to beat.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm reopening this thread because I discovered Campbell Cooper today while trolling eBay for a Barbour. Has anyone gained any actually hands on experience with this since the last post?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
There are any number of outfits making waxed jackets here, for sale at country fairs and in markets. They are always way cheaper than Barbour, and though not always poorly made in terms of how they function, are usually inferior in some respect - the seams may be poorly sewn, or the poppers a bit ordinary.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping some British forum members would offer their opinions. You can probably buy 10 CC jackets for the price of a new Barbour. I just wondering how cheap the other brands appear.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The prices are great - almost too tempting to pass up. It looks like most of their ebay customers are from the UK (at least based on the sampling of reviews that I looked at). If someone actually takes the plunge and buys from them, it would be great if you could post more info regarding shipping costs (and other charges) for US delivery.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Let's be honest, a waxed cotton jacket isn't the most complex garment ever devised and I see no reason why they couldn't be made cheaper and outside the UK, yet still do the job required of them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.