Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't resist a brand new pair of purple label gray flannel trousers for
$12 bucks at a church thrift sale.

Question is, as they are very light gray in colour though a good weight flannel, are all gray flannel trousers equal?

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
A light grey flannel isn't as versatile as a medium or dark grey. I prefer light grey trousers for lighter weights. I wouldn't wear the light grey in the evening, but rather limit them to daytime use. Other than that you can wear them as any other flannel is worn. The light grey flannel can still be paired with a navy blazer or even a sweater. Before the war, white flannels were very popular. You should look back to those times to see how those were worn. I don't know much about them. Perhaps Sator will jump in???

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have white, white w/blue pen stripe, lt grey, med grey, and dark grey flannels...

White flannels are summer wear, lt grey ca be worn winter and summer, depending upon the weight. I have medium and dark grey in tropical wool for summer, and in flannel for winter. Light grey is very apprpriate for wear with a navy blazer. In 'The Great Gatsby', Robert Redford wore a pink flannel suit. Now that was a choice that most members here wouldn't approve of.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
White flannels are summer wear, lt grey ca be worn winter and summer, depending upon the weight. I have medium and dark grey in tropical wool for summer, and in flannel for winter. Light grey is very apprpriate for wear with a navy blazer. In 'The Great Gatsby', Robert Redford wore a pink flannel suit. Now that was a choice that most members here wouldn't approve of.
If they are "very" light grey, they will look inappropriate in the late fall and winter. They will be fine in the spring and fall.( Also ok in the summer if they are a light enough weight.)
Either of you gentlemen ever hear of "Winter whites"? Light grey slacks are suitable from a color sense all year around. The only determinant is weight of the cloth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.