Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a waxed cotton hunting vest made by Lewis Creek. Does anyone know about this brand? All it says is Lewis Creek, Burlington, VA and Made in Scotland. From what little I learned online Barbour and LL Bean may have sold/made some items with this label. Lewis Creek has a website but it doesn't provide much in the way of information.

And on this note, any advice on how to treat/maintain waxed cotton?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Not familiar with Lewis Creek. I liked the look of the Legend Field Coat.

For day to day country wear and around town, I like the look and feel of waxed cotton. However, I am not a huge fan of waxed cotton for use in the shooting field. There are other materials that are far superior in terms of performance in wet and cold. Waxed cotton can become stiff in cold temps and is a very noisy fabric. As a result, totally inappropriate for stalking.

Care: Cloth and warm water. And do not hang it to dry near heaters. There is substantial info on line for care of waxed cotton. The Lewis Creek site has a link.

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have owned the Southland Field Jacket and the Stockton Barn Jacket.

One was made in Scotland and the other in Canada, if I recall.

Purchased very cheaply many years ago at a going out of business sale.

They were fine, with a rugged build, but their alpha sizing made the fit an approximation and compromise at best.

G

·
I recently purchased a waxed cotton hunting vest made by Lewis Creek. Does anyone know about this brand? All it says is Lewis Creek, Burlington, VA and Made in Scotland. From what little I learned online Barbour and LL Bean may have sold/made some items with this label. Lewis Creek has a website but it doesn't provide much in the way of information.

And on this note, any advice on how to treat/maintain waxed cotton?

Thanks!
I have a Lewis creek waxed cloth duster over 20 years old. Only regret is that I can't find the zip in liner. Best coat I have ever owned

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
I have several Barbour coats. Waxed cotton is best cleaned with plain, cold water and a few sponges. One should spread the vest or jacket on a table, perhaps with some brown parcel paper to cover the table, then use wet sponges to wipe the waxed surface of the garment. Do not wash in washing machines, or launder or dry clean the garment. It will destroy the waxed surface and perhaps the garment as well. No soap or other cleansing agent should be used. Plain water is all it needs.

Eventually, the wax is going to lose its protective quality and you may have to send it in for reproofing. Barbour has a facility in New Hampshire that does this. I am not sure if they will accept other brands.

If you go to a website named Salt Water New England and search for Barbour jackets, cleaning, etc., you will find detailed instructions with photographs on how to clean and also reproof the jacket.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I have several Barbour coats. Waxed cotton is best cleaned with plain, cold water and a few sponges. One should spread the vest or jacket on a table, perhaps with some brown parcel paper to cover the table, then use wet sponges to wipe the waxed surface of the garment. Do not wash in washing machines, or launder or dry clean the garment. It will destroy the waxed surface and perhaps the garment as well. No soap or other cleansing agent should be used. Plain water is all it needs.

Eventually, the wax is going to lose its protective quality and you may have to send it in for reproofing. Barbour has a facility in New Hampshire that does this. I am not sure if they will accept other brands.

If you go to a website named Salt Water New England and search for Barbour jackets, cleaning, etc., you will find detailed instructions with photographs on how to clean and also reproof the jacket.
Excellent advice, for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts

I imagine your info is solid and welcome to those who are new to these damn things. I have an L. L. Bean, like this...

Clothing Sleeve Collar Grey Dress shirt

...a gift 10 years ago. I have worn it once, after laying a mat on the driver's seat and wondering why archaic garments as these continue to exist. And I am fond of highly starched dress shirts and other items of apparel that creak and groan as you articulate, but not these high maintenance useless things. Hats off to those who choose to put up with these 1800s hold overs. I would have preferred the $300 lay out as a gift card.

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Well, Peaks, we all have our preferences. I like the look, structure and functioning of Barbours, but I could do without the awful smell that the wax can often create. I think they are protective because of being water-repellent, but of course, there are other materials that are good for this, such as cotton treated for this in standard raincoats. It's a mixed bag. I have never had the Bean variety, so I can't compare it to the Barbours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.