Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've proposed, and she said yes! My intended and I are to be wed this May upcoming, and she is handling procuring her dress, which is excellent because I wouldn't know where to begin. I've always been more of a suits-and-ties kind of girl, and it would feel rather bizarre and costumish to wear a dress for the first time in a decade simply because I'm getting married.

My current idea is to get a MTM white or cream suit made, but this is proving more difficult than I'd hoped. Here are my questions!

-What weight of fabric would you think I should look at for this context? My instinct is to stick with wool and simply look for summer weight, but I'm open to other suggestions.
-Are there any mid-tier makers of suiting fabric who work in whites? Finding white at all is the problem I'm actually running into, but I expect it's because I'm not sure where to look.
-I know I'm already outside the realm of the "traditional" in a number of ways, but I wonder how the idea of blue shoes with a white or cream suit strikes you all. I have AE dress shoes in black, dark brown, and merlot, but the idea of "something blue" does appeal to me. If not blue, which color would you recommend?
-What's the best way to figure out if I should wear white or off-white/cream? Guides I've been able to find on this point seem to be focused on more feminine women, and ask questions like "what color metal do you wear for your earrings?" and other not-quite-applicable questions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The tailor I use has a large female clientele (Kathryn Sargent) and although she can easily do bespoke has found getting together a MTM solution to be very difficult as the female shape varies more than the male one does. Bespoke may be your best option or RTW. If you can find a bespoke tailor then they will have a wide range of cloths and be best able to advise you on the suitability of each for what you have in mind.

Off white or cream? Perhaps a tuxedo with cream jacket and black trousers which is a classic in hot climates.

Blue shoes sounds great if it is a white/cream suit just not too light. Black if tuxedo.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
A truly admirable username.
Can anyone explain to me why my original post was truncated? A response via PM if such wanton censoriousness is rather embarrassng to admit to. The content seemed innocuous enough - why, even the OP 'liked' it.

In a completely unrelated matter - diversity pandering seeks to homogenise thought.

'When it's all the same you can ask for it by name.'

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here are some sites I saw on another forum that will help with color analysis, as to whether cream or white will look better on you. What color is her dress - you don't want one to look dirty against the other.

https://www.truth-is-beauty.com/what-season-are-you.html

https://www.prettyyourworld.com/

https://www.coloressential.net/2012/04/and-12-seasons-became-16.html

https://alookinthemirror.com/

Blue shoes could work - I just saw some velvet ones on Boden's website but you can also filter on sites like Zappos, Shoemall, etc. I also saw a cream suit on Talbots but that may not be formal enough.

How fun! Congratulations!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Should you choose to go the Bespoke route, why not have your wedding suit made from the same material as your brides dress? The blue shoes you seem to harbor a preference for should coordinate nicely with such a suit.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First of all, many congratulations!
I've worked with a number of female clients for weddings, and what you suggest sounds lovely. I could see either a full off-white suit, or even an off-white dinner jacket with midnight blue tuxedo trousers working admirably. I think the blue shoes would be easier with the latter. If you eschewed the blue shoes and did a full cream/white suit, I'd lean towards a light brown or tan shoe.

I think a light-weight wool is probably your best bet; cotton or linen are certainly options, but may be a little bit rumpled, depending on the desired aesthetic.

If you're used to buying suits OTR, then MTM should be doable for you. It can be tough with some body types, but if you aim to get a close fit and then finish with tailoring, you'll likely get good results.

Most fabric mills that sell to MTM providers offer off-white, and occasionally white. It's often found in what might be called a "trouser book" - usually a swatch bunch of plain weave solid colors in every conceivable hue. What qualifies as "mid-tier" varies from person to person, but Vitale Barberis Canonico is a popular and widely available mill that isn't ridiculously expensive - their Blasone bunch (Super 110s, often sold for trousers) has a light-weight cream. SCABAL's New Deluxe bunch (Super 100s*) does as well (https://fabrics.scabal.com/en/catalogue#/product-detail/501171).
Much depends on which mills or brands of MTM your local retailer uses.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Well, upon my soul! I had ranked you as a 'hit-and-run' poster but here we are again. It seems I was mistaken. I was mistaken once before (1983, if I recall correctly) I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Tucson Arizona....? That reminds me of a song. How does it go? Oh yes!

"Sweet Loretta Martin thought she was a woman
But she was another man
All the girls around her say she's got it coming
But she gets it while she can"

All together!

"Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged"

:icon_jokercolor:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The meaning, though it might not have been clear to you, is that you wrote a bad mannered post and then followed it by one of those emojis to say it was all a joke. This is the method of someone who wants an out when challenged and who will say it was not serious.

"Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged"

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Really? That disjointed collection of words, seemingly picked arbitrarily and then scattered across the page, was intended to convey all of that?

I don't need 'an out' when challenged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.