Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally consider myself a well dressed man. I wear suit and tie 9 out of 10 times I leave my house and most of my suits are bespoke.

Recently I had a leather trenchcoat made for me. The coat is made of a very thick black horsehide. It is a close copy of the coats which were popular in the 30's and 40's. Broad shoulders clean cut (no flap in the back) double breasted coat with no buttons. The closure is made by an internal belt with D ring and an external broad belt with double buckles. The sleves have broad classic cuffs. The coat is very heavy (over 15 pounds).
Are leather trenchcoats generally acceptable for office wear with conservative vested suit? Do they have any sort of "stigma" in the States? I really like the look and feel of it, but want to make sure I don't look like Gestapo agent going to work (yes, I do wear fedora hat). I am in my late 20s and occupy mid to senior level executive position at a financial firm on the East Coast.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It sounds as though the coat is very well thought out and I imagine that it could perhaps alter my view of leather trench coats.

But on the East coast and above all in finance, regular cotton (blend) is the only acceptable trench material. Barbour waxed cotton jackets are acceptable and even encouraged on casual Fridays.

But I am afraid that a leather trench coat no matter how well made will be considered very out of place.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree with Cantabrigian. Unless the field you work in encourages fashion/trendy dress, I'd avoid wearing it to the office. It sounds nice though -- sort of Keanu/Matrix-like.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,711 Posts
Include me with the majority on this one...wearing a leather trench, while working in the financial services sector, just would not be a good match. However, it sounds like a great coat for wear during non-work situations. Hope you post pictures, as the coat sounds incredible!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think my response should be altered; I ignored the key words "financial sector." This coat would probably be out of place here. But I do think it could look great in other uses. I'd love to see photos and know who made it for you.

Bimmerzimmer

·
Registered
419 Posts
In the US - and other places? - a leather trenchcoat absolutely has "ve haff vays off making you talk" associations.

Doesn't, alas, matter how well made the trench is, either. It would be like wearing a beautifully made bespoke motorcycle jacket; the associations are inescapable.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
wheredidyougetthathat said:
In the US - and other places? - a leather trenchcoat absolutely has "ve haff vays off making you talk" associations.
I disagree -- it depends on the locale. In Denver, leather trenchcoats are not uncommon. I have a 3/4 length leather coat that uniformly gets positive responses from people.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, my year old topick came to life all of a sudden!

Well, just to give a bit more description, the coat is nothing like pictured above. The leather is very thick (think of shell cordovan used for a coat). The thing weights about 7 kilos. It is a full length coat (it ends mid calf) It is patterned after WW2 time leather overcoats, but not classic Burberry trench pattern, but more of a structured construction. It is quite havily padded on the shoulders as well as chest. Gives a bit of a square look, but at the same time looks very formal.
I don't want to make a reference towards sertain political figures of the 1930s and 40s who were frequently seen in similar types of coats, but the cut is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some questions:

Is it a true copy or a modified original? The true originals don't have padded shoulders (they don't need them in that heavy of leather.)

Where did you get it?

Do you have any pictures?

Bimmerzimmer

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Every time i'm in florence at a particular leather shop my dad tries on a full length black leather trench coat....

Everytime he does so he looks like an SS guard and remembers why he never buys the coat

The coat does sound as though it was thoughfully/well constructed but its a tough look to pull off IMO..... might look better in a 3/4 length

MrR

·
Registered
386 Posts
It is unfortunate how a piece of clothing has such negative connotations. I'm sure the coat looks very smart but as others have said, some may take exception to it. I have a long leather coat in brown but a few years ago I did try on a Gucci long leather coat in black, it was very soft and luxurious - the lapel was single breasted like a jacket, so not similar to the 'historical' garments. It was the price that put me off; I couldn't justify spending a small fortune for something I'd wear a handful of times a year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE=bimmerzimmer]Some questions:

Is it a true copy or a modified original? The true originals don't have padded shoulders (they don't need them in that heavy of leather.)

Where did you get it?

Do you have any pictures?

Bimmerzimmer[/QUOTE]

This is neither the copy, nor modified vintage.
I had my tailor cut a a very specific pattern. This is sililar to the 30's and 40's style, but has some differences. The original coats did have shoulder padding by the way. I own several, and they are all padded. The heady leather makes padding more essential, rather then superulous.
the coat is quite special and costed me more then a suit from A&S in 2005.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
wheredidyougetthathat said:
In the US - and other places? - a leather trenchcoat absolutely has "ve haff vays off making you talk" associations.\
ROTFL I was tihnking exactly those words as I was reading this thread. KB, did you raid the wardrobe for "The Night of the Generals"? Major Grau vants his trenchcoat back SCHNELL!!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.