Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here know where I might me able to find leather suspender similar to the ones worn by James Marsden in The Notebook?
I would like to have a pair like these as it seems like they would be the most versatile option for suspenders as they can be worn with any suit, tie and shirt combination like a leather dress belt. And FYI I would love to find a pair in black instead of the brown, as back leather is more versatile and matches my shoes. One other thing; would leather suspenders like these be less comfortable than regular (silk, wool, rayon, or nylon) ones?

Pics:

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
What are the thoughts of people here regarding braided/woven leather suspenders? Are they any more comfortable as far as leather suspenders go?
In that woven leather tends to have a bit more give, they might be. Though I never found the elastic version any more so than those that aren't. I consider most leather braces best suited to country wear, even more so, a woven version. I do have one set of fine snuff calf suede with baby croc findings and gold hardware, but that's an exception.

And I think you need more brown shoes.

·
Registered
595 Posts
To parrot Flanderian's sentiment, the woven leather braces have more flexibility to them. It is advisable to rub them down with leather lotion every month, if not wholly, at least at the point that it is buckled. I was lucky enough to come across a set of deadstock Hunt Club braces in this fashion, proving that even a very old set can provide a lot of constant use if it is well-treated.

As for the full leather braces - simply imagine wearing belts over your shoulders. I know that some guys feel immediately more constricted by these, but like with any leather garment, it takes a little bit of time to break them in. Once they are, however, they show some of the more visually stunning, though minute, signs of use... such as in the wrinkles.

G

·
Revive!

The original question hasn't been answered, and since the images are also gone I would like to add my own discovery to the thread:

Where can these be found?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have a pair exactly like those pictured .....

but I got them at least 15 years ago. I seem to remember it was out of a Johnston & Murphy catalog. They are as comfortable as my Thurston box cloth or barethea braces, but I do think they should be worn with an odd jacket, not a suit. Even if they are not woven, they are more geared toward country wear. I usually wear them with a herringbone tweed. I don't know about elastic braces. I always thought the elastic ones looked rather on the cheap side so I've never worn them.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Those appear to have equestrian brass buckles and may be bridle leather. Usual suspects in the US would be Polo or Paul Stuart. Both, along with Lands' End, used to have such braces made by Regent Belt, Northhants., UK. Regent's web site has been deactivated.

As you're in Europe, an easy alternative, though a bit wider and with different buckle > www.proidee.co.uk > Men's Fashion > Accessories > Belts Braces (p2) > Leather Braces (left click the photo)

More rugged, Colonel Littleton's

·
Registered
502 Posts
Why did that happen? I've never heard of leather belts staining the waistbands of pants. What's the difference?
Sweat - doesnt usually come through the waistband, but perspiration can come through the shirt and some people's will react with the leather. If you get this problem buy braces with white covered ends, white leather ends or white braid ends.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sorry to revive, but a search hasn't revealed anything recent on the subject.

Several, several years ago, I saw a pair of fascinating braces (in Belk, of all places). They were all leather (tan with brass colored hardware), and I fell in love with them. Unfortunately, I was 17 at the time, didn't wear suits more than once a week, and most importantly, had not discovered the magic of braces as opposed to belts.

I've been searching blindly for some time now to find something similar, and I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Braces: tan or light brown leather (no elastic, silk or woven material involved). Flat, reasonably wide straps (1-2"ish).

[As a side note, what I have found and do not want are those that are woven, very thin, tooled or embossed excessively, or "cowboy-ish" looking. Though I live in the southern U.S., my style is more "archaic dandy" and less "rough-rider".]

Any guidance would be appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.