Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, new to the forum in search for advice.

I bought this new pair of leather shoes, see pic 1. After wearing them to usher at a 6 days conference, the shoe became covered with obvious and unsightly creases. The condition in pic 2 appeared right after wearing them for the first time. By the end of the conference, there are creases even on the side of one of the shoes where there was no flexing at all, see pic 3 and 4. The company claims all these creases to be normal.

I am very much prepared for creases on shoes but I never had anything this bad after only a week, nothing intense was done with them either. As a student, It is also costly for me, NTD 2800 (bought in Taipei) after discount, which is about USD 100. I intend to wear them for the next few years, so I am really upset.

Question: Is this really normal? Should I press on asking for a refund or exchange? Thanks!

Footwear Shoe Sportswear Walking shoe Outdoor shoe
Footwear Brown Shoe Outdoor shoe Dress shoe
Footwear Brown Shoe Yellow Sportswear
Brown Shoe Wood Flooring Floor

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
As you've acknowledged, all shoes crease, whether they cost $100 or $1,000.

And the degree of creasing evident is normal for these shoes worn and treated as you described.

I could go beyond that concerning many things such as type of leather, price vs. value, and the care and use of shoes, but while relevant, it likely wouldn't suit either your interests or circumstances.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just to clarify your story:

1) Did you wear these shoes the entire 6 days while you were at the conference?
2) You didn't use shoe trees when not wearing them during that time?

If you answer yes to both questions I'm not surprised. Shoes need a rest time to dry out between wearings. Six days in a row is pretty tough on any shoe.

Shoe trees help preserve the shape of the shoe and stop it from developing creases. If they weren't treed during that six days I'm not surprised you have creasing.

The good news is that if you do tree them many of the creases will disappear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you've acknowledged, all shoes crease, whether they cost $100 or $1,000.

And the degree of creasing evident is normal for these shoes worn and treated as you described.

I could go beyond that concerning many things such as type of leather, price vs. value, and the care and use of shoes, but while relevant, it likely wouldn't suit either your interests or circumstances.
Thanks. Can I confirm that the case is normal even if the condition in pic 2 appeared after wearing it for the first time?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thanks. Can I confirm that the case is normal even if the condition in pic 2 appeared after wearing it for the first time?
In my opinion, yes. They're comparatively inexpensive shoes made of not very good corrected grain leather, not very expertly cut from the hide, and having some quasi-athletic shoe construction. While I have no doubt that they're costly for your circumstances, what you see isn't unusual given those particulars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to clarify your story:

1) Did you wear these shoes the entire 6 days while you were at the conference?
2) You didn't use shoe trees when not wearing them during that time?

If you answer yes to both questions I'm not surprised. Shoes need a rest time to dry out between wearings. Six days in a row is pretty tough on any shoe.

Shoe trees help preserve the shape of the shoe and stop it from developing creases. If they weren't treed during that six days I'm not surprised you have creasing.

The good news is that if you do tree them many of the creases will disappear.
Thanks. Well for 1), yes. 2) I don't have a show tree but I do use inserts to hold the shoe every day after wearing. Still, will a shoe tree really stretch out these wrinkles like creases?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Lots of good information on the Shoe Snob write up. I have to say your shoes are pretty creased up but not just on the vamp but really even on the sides. I have a pair of Cowboy boots in lizard that are almost 30 years old - resoled and barely have a crease. Just shows you that depends on a lot factors and not just simply age. I do suspect that the leather on your shoes is on the inexpensive side and that has some role in the rapid development of the creasing. I think you just go with it - get some trees, moisturize them, keep them polished and enjoy them. Creases are just part of most shoes. Suede probably has the least propensity to crease but wear them enough and even there you get a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JBierly: I agree it does depend on the leather too. I have a pair of cheap Justin Ropers that were given to me Junior year of High School. I wear them multiple times a week in the fall/winter, and they have negligible creasing. The boots are going on sole seven or eight and turned old enough to drink alcohol last year. I got lucky with a cheap pair of boots that happen to have good leather.

Nanson Lai: If you are feeling adventurous, Shoe Snob has an excellent how-to video on temporarily removing creases at the bottom of this page. I forgot to include it in my first post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of good information on the Shoe Snob write up. I have to say your shoes are pretty creased up but not just on the vamp but really even on the sides. I have a pair of Cowboy boots in lizard that are almost 30 years old - resoled and barely have a crease. Just shows you that depends on a lot factors and not just simply age. I do suspect that the leather on your shoes is on the inexpensive side and that has some role in the rapid development of the creasing. I think you just go with it - get some trees, moisturize them, keep them polished and enjoy them. Creases are just part of most shoes. Suede probably has the least propensity to crease but wear them enough and even there you get a bit.
Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JBierly: I agree it does depend on the leather too. I have a pair of cheap Justin Ropers that were given to me Junior year of High School. I wear them multiple times a week in the fall/winter, and they have negligible creasing. The boots are going on sole seven or eight and turned old enough to drink alcohol last year. I got lucky with a cheap pair of boots that happen to have good leather.

Nanson Lai: If you are feeling adventurous, Shoe Snob has an excellent how-to video on temporarily removing creases at the bottom of this page. I forgot to include it in my first post.
Thanks man I'll look at it. Suppose I got one with poor leather. Sighs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.