Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have no idea if they are Trad, but they certainly are traditional! Interestingly, prior to the 50's or 60's, they were often thought of primarily as inexpensive workman's attire. My father had a beautiful real chamois jacket that he used to wear for dirty jobs. Ouch! :icon_pale:

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My old Air Force issue A2 is a well worn in and a bit beat up at this point but, I consider it very Trad, and since our youngest daughter gave it back to me, I do still wear it occasionally...though it does seem a bit more closely fit than it used to feel! Two heavy leather riding jackets also hang in my closet that I would not consider Trad, at all...perhaps AmJack but, not Trad! Guess it all depends on the jacket design(?). I do wonder if a soft brown, lambskin sportcoat would qualify as Trad? ;)

· Registered
2,500 Posts
I also vote for the A-2 as classic. I use an LLBean Flying Tiger insulated jacket for casual winter outerwear (I know, not a true, authentic A-2).

I am not a fan of calf leather blazers, esp. not black. I might consider a snuff (mid-brown) suede one as a corduroy coat analog.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I do wonder if a soft brown, lambskin sportcoat would qualify as Trad? ;)
I've wondered the same thing, though I think the suede version certainly is. The "liquid" hand of my father's thin chamois suede jacket spoiled me for all other suede hides. Probably the closest approximation is really fine calf suede. Unfortunately, such hides are now almost prohibitively costly, and a jacket costs a king's ransom. Within the last five years, or so, both Ben Silver and Paul Stuart have had beautiful versions, though not anything I could consider.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
I second the tradly vote for the A-2. It came from the same world and era as one of our other staples, chinos, and it doesn't scream "uniform item" to most people. To my eye it is just a quality jacket with some military styling cues. That said, to a US Air Force veteran it most likely is purely a uniform item and most veterans are not crazy about mixing uniform parts in with civilian attire. I haven't worn my G-1 in years for that reason. It just doesn't look quite right. But the G-1 is a less mainstream color, has odd pockets, and has a fur collar.

· Registered
943 Posts
^I'm not a flyer, but I've got a G-1 and like to wear it for Saturday errands with something like khakis and a chamois shirt. It's not a uniform item for me, but I like it better than an A-2 because of the Navy connection.

Scott

· Registered
1,449 Posts
^I'm not a flyer, but I've got a G-1 and like to wear it for Saturday errands with something like khakis and a chamois shirt. It's not a uniform item for me, but I like it better than an A-2 because of the Navy connection.

Scott
Yeah, the G-1 is not a bad jacket at all. I did fly in the USMC so I still have the issued one. The issue for me is that in my day, in the Marine Corps it was generally seen as dirtballish to mix military and civilian clothing items. I have been tempted to turn my G-1 into a Mickey Mouse jacket by putting patches on it from places/aircraft with career connections and start wearing it again. But I just haven't gotten over the hump on that.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
:icon_smile_big:
Yeah, the G-1 is not a bad jacket at all. I did fly in the USMC so I still have the issued one. The issue for me is that in my day, in the Marine Corps it was generally seen as dirtballish to mix military and civilian clothing items. I have been tempted to turn my G-1 into a Mickey Mouse jacket by putting patches on it from places/aircraft with career connections and start wearing it again. But I just haven't gotten over the hump on that.
Time has a way of changing one's perspective, there well may be a statute of limitations. My military experience was long ago and not entirely voluntary. :icon_smile_big: My only desire then was to wear civies as much as my duty allowed.

There were no cool military issue uniform items for my lot. Yet today I find myself wondering if perhaps I should purchase a patch for my command (Long since disbanded.) and have it sewn on a vaguely military looking quilted windbreaker of mine. If you did the time, it is part of your history, and as long as the same or very similar items are available as civilian attire, I frankly see nothing wrong with wearing them.

My recollection from 40+ years ago is that any article of clothing absent all of the necessary insignia of service and rank is only an article of clothing, not a part of the uniform.

· Registered
49 Posts
Now here are my suggestions. As we have been talking about aviation flight jackets here's a true classic, the french veste de vol from before the war. Think Saint Ex!

If you're more maritime minded here's a current heavy duty german leather work jacket that is used by harbour personell, maritime pilots and such. It's from a great store in downtown Hamburg. 125 years old!

BTW I have both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.