Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new brown leather holster that is rubbing color off onto my shirt. This was the first wearing, and I'm guessing it will subside in time but am looking for a solution to reduce this. It's not hot here at the moment, so I don't believe this to be moisture related bleeding, but rather appears to be surface color physically rubbing onto the cloth.

My thinking was maybe a thorough cleaning with saddle-soap or a rubbing alcohol & water solution. Any other thoughts about how to deal with this? The manufacturer's only suggestion was to "try first waxing it with a shoe product."

I expect the answer is already in this forum somewhere, but I don't seem to be hitting on the right search term.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have a new brown leather holster that is rubbing color off onto my shirt. This was the first wearing, and I'm guessing it will subside in time but am looking for a solution to reduce this. It's not hot here at the moment, so I don't believe this to be moisture related bleeding, but rather appears to be surface color physically rubbing onto the cloth.

My thinking was maybe a thorough cleaning with saddle-soap or a rubbing alcohol & water solution. Any other thoughts about how to deal with this? The manufacturer's only suggestion was to "try first waxing it with a shoe product."

I expect the answer is already in this forum somewhere, but I don't seem to be hitting on the right search term.
Odd this would happen, unless it's oil tanned, in which case paste polish would be a bad idea. Suggests to me that the leather is poorly tanned, which I consider a manufacturing defect. I've seen this in some hides sourced from China. Can you return it and get a different holster from another manufacturer?

If not, you might try a light application of a neutral paste wax to try and seal the leather to some extent. Paste wax can also "bleed" onto clothing, but the neutral colored wax shouldn't be as big a problem. Just rub a light amount on with your finger tips, and buff it with horse hair brush and/or shine rag.

I wouldn't use a solvent on the leather as it might make the bleeding problem even worse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of curiosity, I tried rubbing the finished surface with a white cloth. It definitely seems that it's a slight amount of the surface coloring rubbing off (as opposed to bleeding,) though it seems to lessen with further buffing. It is less of an issue with the rough side of the straps (shoulder holster.) Perhaps a good overall buffing would take care of most of the problem. Then I'll give the neutral polish a try.

You mentioned oil tanned, and what rubs off seems a more yellowish color than brown, so that may be a factor?

The holster was custom fit for this handgun, so returning it is not really an option. I am otherwise really pleased with the function of this particular system, so am avoiding switching manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Perhaps a good overall buffing would take care of most of the problem. Then I'll give the neutral polish a try.
Can't hurt.

I've had an oil tanned belt bleed onto the waistband of pants. But oil tanned leather also has a lot of good qualities. It pretty much never dries out or cracks, it and remains supple. It also wears very well. This could be important because abrasion must be an issue when you're carrying a weapon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.