Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to become more adept at doing this. Are there any standards which are widely available that could serve as benchmarks? For instance "year rounders" wool trousers from Lands End. What are they? 9 ounce? I read posts about getting a 16 ounce fabric made into a suit, but I lack a reference point for just how heavy that is. Any suggestions out there?:icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
This gets tricky. Try browsing in stores and asking to get an idea, but fabric weight doesn't always correspond evenly with the thickness due to the type of weavings and weight of material.

These days it is pretty hard to find heavier fabrics in stores, but you can probably see a good spread of 7-11oz. fabrics in clothes stores with a range of suits.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
This gets tricky. Try browsing in stores and asking to get an idea, but fabric weight doesn't always correspond evenly with the thickness due to the type of weavings and weight of material.

These days it is pretty hard to find heavier fabrics in stores, but you can probably see a good spread of 7-11oz. fabrics in clothes stores with a range of suits.
The real trick is finding a salesperson who has the slightest clue as to the weight of a specific fabric.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The only way to even begin to get an idea is to feel lots of fabrics from a swatch book with the weights marked and learn from that. Or much better, from a bolt of the fabric so you can really scrunch it up and feel the hand.

Like learning anything, you need to build up a large mental sample size of the normal range before you'll identify stuff even approximately correctly. Even then it can be deceptive at times.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do you ever come over to Chicago from Ohio?

If so stop by our store and I'll be happy to show you lots of swatches and bolts of fabrics at different weights and in different weaves to show you the difference. It's very difficult to get a feel for the difference in weights and thicknesses and weaves etc without experience. It can be valuable knowledge for the future of shopping however. If your planning on coming over private message me and I'll set up an appointment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.