Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many family members who have been directly impacted by the tragedy of last week. Thankfully all of them are alright and accounted for, but the devastation that my father's Italy faced is astounding.

Even in today's socially conscious Europe, the disparity between the Urban North of Italy and the more rural South that led my ancestors to leave over a hundred years ago is still a reality. Even amid such a "national" disaster I read recently that in the more affluent North the quake was not even on the lips of the locals.

Those who know me here know I'm not a religious person, but today I hope that the spirit of Easter and of ressurection will help the people of L'Aquila, my fellow "terrones", rebuild their lives. I also hope that this disaster helps the government in Italy take action to end the the disparity that still exists today in the South.

The NIAF, a group which I am very familiar with (family has received college scholarships from them) has set up a relief site if anyone is inclined to help. I hope posting the link is not crossing a line, but I know that the US government has only donated $50,000 at this point (may have been increased but I'm not sure) and I know many here believe in private donations as well. I have donated what I could, but i just hope in the spirit of Easter some forum members may be able to help.

Thanks, and again Happy Easter.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Madonna (the former Mrs. Guy Ritchie) is apparently donating $500,000 to the relief efforts.

Madonna (the former Mrs. St. Joseph) is providing immeasurable emotional support.

I was so impressed with the ninety-something-year-old lady who was pulled from the rubble after several days, said she spent her time waiting doing knitting, and when she saw the television cameras said, "oh, please, let me fix my hair!"

I have far more faith in the NIAF getting aid where it's needed than I do the American Red Cross.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have far more faith in the NIAF getting aid where it's needed than I do the American Red Cross.
Ditto on that...I've heard horror stories about the American Red Cross

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Franko...seeing those images make me love and appreciate even more if thats possible. Seeing those pictures will help people put a face to this disaster, the one of the infant being laid to rest with its mother broke my heart, and the one of the shadow of the father and daughter made me cry. To think if it weren't for the sacrifice of my father's father, I'd have been there, as many of my cousin are today.

Stunning pictures on this link ;
https://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/04/the_laquila_earthquake.html

They REALLY show the extent of the damage caused by the quake.

Two/three images are very sad and poignant, they are balanced by those that are very uplifting.

F.
PS, Love your baby Rrgossicone.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Ditto on that...I've heard horror stories about the American Red Cross
I was particularly disgusted when they started selling home first-aid kits in stores.

The Red Cross logo was actually used by Johnson & Johnson before the American Red Cross was founded. The ARC has been allowed to use it without cost for over 100 years with only one restriction - that it not be used to sell products that compete with J&J.

The ARC, of course, tried to present themselves as above reproach, even though they were clearly in the wrong.

Here in Atlanta, they used to have a headquarters building on a hill overlooking the interstate. Then they moved into a much nicer building farther down the hill. Now they've sold the nicer building, it's been torn down to build luxury condos, and they've moved back into the old building. WTF? Anything for a buck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.