Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lapped and welted seams on sport coats and blazers but not on a suit. Patrick's most recent photo on the WAYW thread is making me think about adding this feature to my next suit, though. What do you guys think of this feature on a suit in general? It adds a bit of casualness to my eye, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have lapped and welted seams on sport coats and blazers but not on a suit. Patrick's most recent photo on the WAYW thread is making me think about adding this feature to my next suit, though. What do you guys think of this feature on a suit in general? It adds a bit of casualness to my eye, but that's just me.
Depends somewhat on the fabric--The detail is common (standard?) on summer poplin sack suits; used to be seen on covert/cavalry twill and corduroy suits, those with a more "country" air. Patrick's Deansgate glencheck suit tends to fall into this category.

Historically, I believe the normal edge stitching on traditional, dressier business suit lapels has been 1/16", as opposed to the welt/lapped seam width of 1/4"-5/16".

I welcome corrections--this is only my relatively limited observation.

Enjoy the pentultimate workday!:icon_smile:

hbs

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
This design element makes a suit more casual to by eye. I like it on twill suits such as gabardines or whipcord, which tend toward the country. In the '70's I had a JAB gab from their Baltimore factory. A decent suit. Decent material and construction. Miss it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This design element makes a suit more casual to by eye. I like it on twill suits such as gabardines or whipcord, which tend toward the country. In the '70's I had a JAB gab from their Baltimore factory. A decent suit. Decent material and construction. Miss it.
Know the feeling--I had a navy serge vested sack suit from JAB (fall, 1980); it was my dress-up workhorse most of that decade...too bad the company has strayed so far from its roots.:(

hbs

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a BB brown herring bone with with lapped and welted seams and with patch pockets that fits the "country" air category. Looks dressy but too much so good for in-between occasions. JAB seemed to use this style more than most with suits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.