Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can it be done? I'm looking at a really cool jacket, but would like a bit of the lapel taken in. Is that possible? If so, how much would be able to be altered?

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Should not be a problem - where do you want to the lapel to end, because the collar would need altering if you want take off a lot.

If you want the lapel to end where the last vertical line is, then the collar too big. Although that should not be a problem, it increase the cost of the work.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should not be a problem - where do you want to the lapel to end, because the collar would need altering if you want take off a lot.

If you want the lapel to end where the last vertical line is, then the collar too big. Although that should be a problem, it increase the cost of the work.
Well, I paid 20 bucks for the whole suit (3 piece) so I wouldn't mind spending the extra to have it look exactly how I'd like...thanks for the responses!

· Registered
869 Posts
Interesting. Won't taking the lapel in either change the roll or make it so the edge of the lapel is no longer running parallel to the pattern?
It shouldn't affect either.
The lapel will be narrowed from the edges so the roll stays where it is.
The lapel is currently in line with the pattern so narrowing it won't matter as it will still be in line as long it's cut correctly.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
Interesting. Won't taking the lapel in either change the roll or make it so the edge of the lapel is no longer running parallel to the pattern?
look at the stripe now. see how the stripe only runs parallel close to the top of the lapel only. the new edge should do the same.
the break line that contains the stay tape on the canvas is where the lapel rolls over. it runs from the fold of the collar down to the top button. this would not be touched when narrowing that is done at the edge only.

but the notch will appear uneven if the collar side of the notch is not trimmed to match the lapel side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.