Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know opera pumps are the most traditional when it comes to formalwear,but I must admit,yesterday I saw a pair of patent lace ups that I really liked,but I'm afraid lace ups may be a bit too informal for my 1B PL dinner suit.What is the consensus here regarding lace up formal shoes?

· Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
They are certainly acceptable. In my own case, I tend to wear patent leather oxfords in the colder months and to formal occasions where the ambience is a bit more somber. Opera pumps are my choice in warmer months and for more festive events.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
What's the consensus regarding lace up formal shoes?I found a pair that I really liked,but I'm afraid lace ups may be a bit too infomal for wearing with my 1B PL dinner suit.
It really is up to you. In contemporary times, the black shiny shoes are equivalent, in terms of formality, to opera pumps. I have two pairs of patent leather pumps: one is Ferragamo Studio, the other Church's Custom Grade. I don't own any patent leather shoes, but I am considering getting some in the future. A while back I remember a thread that mentioned silk shoe laces. If I were to go down the shoe route, I would go out of my way to buy silk shoe laces, preferably of the same texture of my outfit.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
In his AAAC guide to wedding attire, Manton contends that either opera pumps or patent leather shoes are appropriate with white tie:

Shoes must be patent leather plain oxfords-no decoration of any kind, not even a toe cap-or else opera pumps.
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutorials/AntongiavanniWEDDINGATTIRE.htm

This argument is not footnoted, of course, so I don't know (and can't check since I'm at work) what Flusser, AA, etc. etc. would say about it.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I hate to say it, but it was mens wearhouse as I had a $50 coupon and a 10% discount. So I got them for $30. For me I may wear my tux 3 or 4 times a year so I didn't want to go overboard. Don't know that they are a good deal for $90 though, but they may be better than ones you can find online for the same price. I stood in them for a couple hours at my wedding and they were alright, granted that was the first time I wore them so they aren't broken in.
https://www.menswearhouse.com/mensw...owsePath=1408474395560592&bmUID=1221578783006

· Registered
2,163 Posts
I hate to say it, but it was mens wearhouse as I had a $50 coupon and a 10% discount. So I got them for $30. For me I may wear my tux 3 or 4 times a year so I didn't want to go overboard. Don't know that they are a good deal for $90 though, but they may be better than ones you can find online for the same price. I stood in them for a couple hours at my wedding and they were alright, granted that was the first time I wore them so they aren't broken in.
https://www.menswearhouse.com/mensw...owsePath=1408474395560592&bmUID=1221578783006
That's a good idea if you don't plan to wear a tuxedo anytime soon. Does Men's Wearhouse rent shoes? If I'm going to be doing some standing I definitely have Dr. Scholl's memory foam footpads in my shoes.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
According to the link dwebber18 provided, the shoes are all leather.

Interestingly, in terms of comfort, the description compares the new insoles to a pair of broken in ones, when dwebber18 clearly recalled that they weren't "broken in." But I suppose that is asking a lot, even for expensive shoes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.