Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for this in the old threads, but got no love.

I was looking through my new Bean catalog the other day and noticed they have a lot of nice oxfords for cheap that have exact sleeve lengths and necks that look pretty good. I know they're non-iron, which doesn't bother me - but I wonder if anyone has owned one.

I have a lot of LE shirts and like them, and would assume the Bean oxford would be comparable. Anyone know if the collar is tall enough to cover a wide tie?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have several Bean Weekend Oxfords (which are sized S/M/L/XL) and I really like them. They might be cut from a different cloth that their standard OBCD offering (pun intended), however, because the Weekenders are non-non-iron.

Bottom line: with their great return policy, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have the Uni-Stripe as well and I really like it. I wear it all the time. Fabric is not rough or scratchy like some other non-iron stuff...BUT I do notice it doesn't breath as well as a regular cotton shirt. Just a little, not a huge deal, but noticeable [to me].

Danny

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a few LLB non-iron and must-iron shirts. I would not buy their non-iron shirts again. I found them to be as hard a cardboard. However, their must-iron shirts are much better, IMO. They are soft cotton with a nice collar roll.

Merry Christmas all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bean OCBD

I have exactly one of each. The non iron does have that non-breathable feel, even more than a Brooks Brothers non-iron. The Weekender oxfords are made of a cloth that reminds me very much of the old Brooks Brothers "Zephyr" weight oxford. You can figure out the sleeve lengths from the sizing chart (the XL Tall fits just like an 18-36). I'd like to have a dozen of them!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have a tattersall non-iron OCBD which I got for Christmas last year. It is still quite stiff (even after 1 year old and probably 2x a month wear) but, I like it for the most part. The collar is quite tall (something I always look at - Polo shirts have those stingy collars).

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a tattersall non-iron OCBD which I got for Christmas last year. It is still quite stiff (even after 1 year old and probably 2x a month wear) but, I like it for the most part. The collar is quite tall (something I always look at - Polo shirts have those stingy collars).
That's what I have and it's about 3-4 years old. Still hard as a board. I like the fit, it's just too bloody stiff to be comfortable.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. I've never worn Beans before, but they had some nice colors that I haven't found from other makers and thought I'd give one a whirl. I like my LE Oxfords, but the shirt tails are too blinking short for my tastes. I don't mind non-iron shirts, never had any problems with breathability (perhaps because I grew up on blended shirts from Penney's).

Glad to hear the collars are a little taller. One question, how do they stack up to the LE Ox?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Though not as good as a Hyde Park, for $14.99, the LE regular OCBD is not the worst shirt in the world, either, and if you don't like 'em, you can always return 'em to your local Sears.
I've found that the regular LE OBCDs REALLY shrink. I try to put my shirts on hangers to dry after I've washed them, but every once in a while, I miss one. I made that mistake with an LE OCBD and it now fits me like a scuba suit.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've found that the regular LE OBCDs REALLY shrink. I try to put my shirts on hangers to dry after I've washed them, but every once in a while, I miss one. I made that mistake with an LE OCBD and it now fits me like a scuba suit.
You can still return it - probably not to a Sears store, but to their corporate HQ "Attn: Returns". I've returned a couple of items that way over the years, and they sent me a gift card for the current value of the item.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.