Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Kiton tux at a resale shop that I can pick up for $800. The crazy thing is that it has functional buttons, but the damn thing fits me perfectly, as is. It is 100% cashmere, and in great shape. I have a tux now that doesn't see a lot of duty, but this seems like a deal that might be too good to pass up. Worth the money?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found a Kiton tux at a resale shop that I can pick up for $800. The crazy thing is that it has functional buttons, but the damn thing fits me perfectly, as is. It is 100% cashmere, and in great shape. I have a tux now that doesn't see a lot of duty, but this seems like a deal that might be too good to pass up. Worth the money?
Functional buttons? You mean, like functional cuff buttons? I usually consider it standard that one can button one's jacket buttons on a tuxedo.

Anyway take into consideration the style the lapel. Personally, I would never pay for a notch lapel tuxedo. But I wouldn't mind having both a peaked and a shawl lapel tuxedo for different types of events. Also the colour. It might be nice to have both a black and a white tuxedo, depending on the weather where you live. But I can't really see the point in having two identical balck tuxedos.

Then again, if the Kiton tuxedo is really, really high quality, you could consider buying it as an "upgrade" and selling your old tuxedo.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Go for it

Without seeing the garment, difficult to say; however, from what you have described, it is something you can wear at fancy black-tie events, maybe a once-a -year garment. By fancy, I mean where they are more relaxed on attire but still want to stick with the traditional, although most black-tie events seem to be taking this direction now.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If it is single button, peak lapel or shawl collar and its all black without any fine stripes or anything and it doesn't have pocket flaps I would personally go for it as a replacement for the one you currently have.

Can you provide more construction details?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has peak lapels, one button, and the pants are also cashmere. The sleeve buttons are functional as it was originally bespoke/MTM for a local athlete. The part that gets me is that it actually fit me perfectly as is, since I usually have to have fairly extensive alterations done when I buy off the rack. It does have very fine stripes, but only because the fabric is slightly textured. The tux that I have now was a pretty cheap jobber that I bought for a black tie wedding instead of renting one. It has never really fit me to my liking, even after tailoring, so I never really feel completely comfortable in it. Even though most people have no idea, I still feel a bit uneasy in a cheap suit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It has peak lapels, one button, and the pants are also cashmere. The sleeve buttons are functional as it was originally bespoke/MTM for a local athlete. The part that gets me is that it actually fit me perfectly as is, since I usually have to have fairly extensive alterations done when I buy off the rack. It does have very fine stripes, but only because the fabric is slightly textured. The tux that I have now was a pretty cheap jobber that I bought for a black tie wedding instead of renting one. It has never really fit me to my liking, even after tailoring, so I never really feel completely comfortable in it. Even though most people have no idea, I still feel a bit uneasy in a cheap suit.
Sounds like you should buy it then. $800 is a small price to pay for a perfect fit, and the confidence and ease that go with it.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Are you sure it isn't herringbone? It's acceptable to have a small, subtle herringone pattern from my understanding. I've seen a couple that do and it's pretty classy -- you don't notice at first.

If the sleeves are great as is or only need a smidgeon either way to show cuff, you should snatch it up NOW. Then take some pictures for us to envy.

·
Registered
916 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.