Men's Clothing Forums banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

· Registered
Tie
19,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Just last week, King Kullen experienced a global network outage which affected the computer servers and our pay too so a lot of workers got their pay in an envelope instead of a stub which some usually get including me.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Just last week, King Kullen experienced a global network outage which affected the computer servers and our pay too so a lot of workers got their pay in an envelope instead of a stub which some usually get including me.
When I first started working outside the home in a regular basis, almost 60 years ago, we were paid with the required amount of cash in a small envelope. Eventually the employer decided to save a few cents and he just gave us the cash, sans the envelope. Times have certainly changed. ;)

· Registered
Tie
19,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
When I first started working outside the home in a regular basis, almost 60 years ago, we were paid with the required amount of cash in a small envelope. Eventually the employer decided to save a few cents and he just gave us the cash, sans the envelope. Times have certainly changed. ;)
Were you given pay stubs or were they just envelopes of money?

· (aka TKI67)
3,448 Posts
As I recall, it was just the money.
My first job after school was as an attorney for the Fed. We could go to "the window" and be paid in uncirculated twenties. That was where I learned that when you have uncirculated bills, the first thing you ought to do is crumple them so they are less likely to stick together.

· Registered
Tie
19,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
My first job after school was as an attorney for the Fed. We could go to "the window" and be paid in uncirculated twenties. That was where I learned that when you have uncirculated bills, the first thing you ought to do is crumple them so they are less likely to stick together.
Did you have an option where you can put your money in your bank account?

· (aka TKI67)
3,448 Posts
My kind of guy,...

Absolutely priceless!
Being in Oregon, you'll relate. I graduated from Willamette Law School in 1975. We moved to Dallas, and I got a job at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. In 1975 there wasn't much for a young couple from Oregon to do but eat burgers at Jack's Burger House, buy clothing at Neiman Marcus or Brooks Brothers, or buy amazing potables at Marty's. Thankfully after a year of regulating bank holding companies I went to work for one in Houston. We loved Houston.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
I'm not sure how often you get back to Oregon, but suffice to say that Portland is a shadow of it's former self.

I began coming to Portland on business in the late 80s and moved here in 1992. As Portland grew crowds were inevitable but the politics of lawlessness has truly impacted the livability of the metro area.

I have so many wonderful memories of civic events, theater, concerts and dinners in downtown Portland. It's likely that those days are gone forever. I have the same experiences in Seattle and San Francisco on business.

We were lucky.

It's been years since I've been back to Austin. I hope it's still a vibrant city.

· Registered
Tie
19,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The one who really needed to keep money in a safe place were *the employers themselves*; they also had to get the cash to the office in safety.

Cash payrolls are why there were payroll robberies back in the day!

DH
I think there are some payroll robberies today in this day and age, you never know who to trust.

· (aka TKI67)
3,448 Posts
I'm not sure how often you get back to Oregon, but suffice to say that Portland is a shadow of it's former self.

I began coming to Portland on business in the late 80s and moved here in 1992. As Portland grew crowds were inevitable but the politics of lawlessness has truly impacted the livability of the metro area.

I have so many wonderful memories of civic events, theater, concerts and dinners in downtown Portland. It's likely that those days are gone forever. I have the same experiences in Seattle and San Francisco on business.

We were lucky.

It's been years since I've been back to Austin. I hope it's still a vibrant city.
Every year or two pre-COVID but generally blew through Portland headed to Dundee and Otter Crest. Austin is very different, too, growing like crazy.

Howard, how's Bayside these days? I used to live next door in Manhasset and it was pretty sleepy.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts