Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants some new pants, and apparently wants to dress like me. So who makes good khakis / chinos for women? There are almost limitless options for men - what do you recommend for women? She wants something plain, fitted, and not too baggy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Perhaps Land's End? I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance, but I rarely wear casual trousers -- just trouser suits.

A quick Google search discovered that they even offer custom-made chinos.

However, Brooks Brothers also offers them in a plain front style and with pleats:
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...10704&Parent_Id=236&default_color=British-tan

I hope this helps, as I have no personal experience with either brand regarding chinos, and cannot make a recommendation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, there's probably an even bigger limitless option for women, LOL.

It's difficult to recommend a particular brand, because how a woman is shaped will determine what brand fits her best. Is your wife not able to find some khaki-colored cotton pants in the style she normally wears?

I'm curvy with a definite waist; I've been happy with Ralph Lauren and have recently liked Talbots for pants. There is also a brand at Wal-Mart (really!) called George that occasionally has some really nice pieces designed for a curvier figure. I recently bought a pair of navy pinstriped pants there and they fit beautifully.

However, here's a style of chinos that I would be interested in trying on. A higher waist, minimal detailing, etc. - all things that appeal to me. I also think they're more far flattering than the Brooks Bros. chinos. On-seam pockets and pleats can make a woman look very "bulgy" (even the skinny models don't look good in those pants!). The Brooks Bros. stretch driving pants are much more attractive and would be flattering to more figure types (though I'm not too crazy about that camel color). I guess it would depend on just how much like you your wife wants to dress!

Truthfully, though, pants are an item that I absolutely won't order online, unless it's a replacement for a style I already know will flatter me. Your wife's best best is to probably scour the local stores.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...However, Brooks Brothers also offers them in a plain front style and with pleats:
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...10704&Parent_Id=236&default_color=British-tan

I hope this helps, as I have no personal experience with either brand regarding chinos, and cannot make a recommendation.
My wife has two or three pair of the BB chinos for women and (as of just seconds ago) says she is very happy with them and all were bought on clearance and during sales for (she thinks) about $24 each. There are bargains to be had! ;)

PS: Her's don't have pleats.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
. I also think they're more far flattering than the Brooks Bros. chinos. On-seam pockets and pleats can make a woman look very "bulgy" (even the skinny models don't look good in those pants!).
I second this! Pleats = ugh.

J Crew has some decent styles which look feminine.
https://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wo...y_Category/pants/chino/PRDOVR~97030/97030.jsp

I often wear Eddie Bauer chinos. They fit me perfectly. They do have talls, if she's tall.

Ralph Lauren is fine. LL Bean's chinos seem very boyish, to me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also support the "no pleats" faction. I never wear pleated trousers, but I know some people still insist on that particular style. I just mentioned that they exist, but did not try to recommend or endorse them in any way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just mentioned that they exist, but did not try to recommend or endorse them in any way.
I hope it didn't seem like I was "picking" on you!

It's kind of hard to know what to recommend when a man writes that his wife "wants to dress like me"! LOL

I didn't know whether he meant actual styles like his but cut for a woman (big 1980s preppy flashback here), or just more classic clothing in general.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hope it didn't seem like I was "picking" on you!

It's kind of hard to know what to recommend when a man writes that his wife "wants to dress like me"! LOL

I didn't know whether he meant actual styles like his but cut for a woman (big 1980s preppy flashback here), or just more classic clothing in general.
Oh, no! Not at all. I guess, I just wanted to clarify that I also belong to the "say no to pleats" group.

It is rather difficult to help a man dress his wife. Usually it's the other way around...of course, forum members are excluded :icon_smile_big:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.