Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

combined, I think this forum has owned or currently owns every iconic chino pant ever made. I am trying to find a few fairly priced pairs of chinos that will look great with a heavy oxford and repp tie with weejuns, or if needs be just a polo. I am a little framed guy with a 31" waist (any brand, cut, or model recommendations?). But, i hear about a lot of chinos shirking. Which brands or models should I be aware of for shirking, how much and where (waist or leg) will they shrink and how should that affect my sizing?

·
Registered
148 Posts
On the reasonable end of the scale I like the Cherokee's that you can get from Target. Nice cut (for me). I tend to wash new Khaki three or four times and dry them at a higher than normal temperature to make sure that most of the shrinking takes place before I head over to the tailor. This strategy works pretty well.

On the higher end of things I like pants from Nordstrom. I find that nice Khaki's with a crease seem more formal (but not a replacement for dress slacks).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have found Gap and Banana Republic to have descent khakis with a trimmer fit. I'm not a slim frame and they are a bit snug for me so they would probably work well on you. And I'm pretty sure all of them are going to shrink as they are 100% cotton, but most of them are probably preshrunk as I have never had a problem with a pair not fitting after a wash and dry. However if you get an unhemmed pair wash/dry them a couple times before you get them tailored like the poster above said. You may want to try Brooks for a quality pair but they will maybe be more than you want to pay. The Milano fit would be a trimmer cut while the Clark and Thompson fit would be more straight cut.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bills shrink approx 1/2" in the inseam. In fact, if you order them from Hansen's, they automatically add 1/2" to your specified inseam.

(I love Hansen's. Now that I know my proper Bills inseam, I order from them and can get them cuffed at no charge, they arrive in <1 week, and they fit perfectly.)

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.