Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"While we're on the topic of supporting nonprofits, you might as well check out the annual Sports Ball at the Peabody Hotel Saturday night. The event benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Memphis. The black tie/tennis shoe gala wants attendees to pair comfy sports shoes with cocktail dresses and tuxedoes. The party starts at 7 p.m."

It may be a sports ball, but tennis shoes with black tie is simply not cricket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Obviously, the look isn't sartorially sound, but that's clearly not the point of the event. It's a creative way to express an idea and do some good in the world. It's not like they're advocating people do this for normal black-tie events.

Actually, it would be a fun challenge to find the athletic shoes that work the best in this situation.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Actually, it would be a fun challenge to find the athletic shoes that work the best in this situation.
Agreed. I would vote for the Sperry Topsider in patent leather, assuming we can count sailing as a sport within the definition of the event:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
"While we're on the topic of supporting nonprofits, you might as well check out the annual Sports Ball at the Peabody Hotel Saturday night. The event benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Memphis. The black tie/tennis shoe gala wants attendees to pair comfy sports shoes with cocktail dresses and tuxedoes. The party starts at 7 p.m."

No worse...and certainly much less affected...than the Gerge W. Bush Inaugural Black Tie and Boots ball.

Buzz

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
This type of event is not uncommon in the world of charity and giving. There is an annual event held all across the U.S. called the "Black and Blue Ball" which raises money to fight muscular dystrophy. These events are often sponsored by Harley-Davidson dealerships and attendees are invited to wear anything from denim to black tie. A common practice is to combine the two into one outfit. A fun time is generally had by all and it's for a good cause.

Cruiser

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This type of event is not uncommon in the world of charity and giving. There is an annual event held all across the U.S. called the "Black and Blue Ball" which raises money to fight muscular dystrophy. These events are often sponsored by Harley-Davidson dealerships and attendees are invited to wear anything from denim to black tie. A common practice is to combine the two into one outfit. A fun time is generally had by all and it's for a good cause.

Cruiser
Jeans and a DJ for a Harley fund-raiser or boots and black tie for Texas event don't bother me, but tennis shoes and black tie just reminds me of that horrible trend in the eighties when men copied their female co-workers and started wearing tennis shoes with their suits and (I hope) changing their shoes at work.

I also don't see the connection between Big Brothers and Big Sisters Organization and tennis shoes other than "dressing comfy". Sports celebrities don't wear tennis shoes with their evening wear. If anything, I would be dissuaded from attending if I had to wear such a get-up.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Organised athletics has rules with regulation equippment and medical standards to insure the health and safety of players.
Given the cheating culture in everything from regulation bats, steroids and he public demeaner of any athletes, you really expect them to honour the discipline of dressing correctly?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
If it's me I go for the most garish multi-coloured bling, chav, hip-hop trainers I can find, preferably with plenty of gold, pink, green, blue, and so on.

Going for something black or that matches would be naff and completely missing the point! This is a chance to have fun for charity; not to wear a pair of smooth topped black Reebok walking shoes.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

SNOB! :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
It's kind of snobby to accuse others of snobbery. :icon_smile_wink:
SNOB! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_wink: Hey..you know I'm only having fun. BTW I disagree:icon_smile_wink:

Serious note though, and what I can work out from the OP he was being serious; in that turning your nose up at a chairty event because the dress code clashes with your personal style is nothing else but pure snobbery, of I might add the worst kind, it's for charity for god's sake! That to me is a snob! :devil:

·
Banned
731 Posts
this is uncalled for..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.