Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or is it actually Tie Things ?

Anyway what a great product! I'm not in favor of tie bars and especially tie tacks (punching a hole in a beautiful silk fabric turns my stomach)! :icon_smile:

This product solves the wayward tie problem. It fastens through the keeper on your necktie and holds it close to your shirt!

Up to now I've just tolerated it, but what is so unique about the Tie Thing is that it's fabric and you can get them to match your shirts!

On Andy's Recommendations Page linked in the upper left corner of this page is a video of how it works.

Go through the link on the Recommendations Page or tell them you came from AskAndy.

And the price is right too!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Or is it actually Tie Things ?

Anyway what a great product! I'm not in favor of tie bars and especially tie tacks (punching a hole in a beautiful silk fabric turns my stomach)! :icon_smile:

This product solves the wayward tie problem. It fastens through the keeper on your necktie and holds it close to your shirt!

Up to now I've just tolerated it, but what is so unique about the Tie Thing is that it's fabric and you can get them to match your shirts!

On Andy's Recommendations Page linked in the upper left corner of this page is a video of how it works.

Go through the link on the Recommendations Page or tell them you came from AskAndy.

And the price is right too!
Do you really find tie bars to be dated? Many sources in fashion centered literature (including the publication to which you contribute) promote tiebars as being back in style. I ask not to be rude, but out of curiosity. It is interesting how different sources promote different stylistic staples.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I just bought their 5 pack for $15, what a clever little gadget! Its one of those little inventions that someone clever always seems to come up with after getting really peeved about an overlooked problem. I think these would be great for any outdoor event that requires a tie where it might be windy. I don't think I have a soup problem but I don't like my tie flying over my shoulder so I will give them a try.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I prefer my ties to "go commando," as it were. True, I don't work around dangerous machinery or venture outside in my suits all that often, but I prefer my tie to fall however it likes. The rest of my ensemble is buttoned up (quite literally), so I give the tie some leeway. As long as it doesn't look slovenly, I am OK with it. On the rare occasion that I do want to wrangle my tie into submission, I prefer a small, plain tie bar of silver. My 0.02.
In addition, I think tie bars look odd.
Perhaps tie bars are something of an American holdover. A kind of fashion appendix or gall bladder?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
As many of my ties are vintage and don't have a loop on the back, the tie bar is a better choice for me. I like that it's old fashioned.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Tie bars are for hopelessly clueless washed-up fat balding old schlubs, the kind you see stumbling along the crazy paving in flubsy house slippers and egg-stained cardies making indecent proposals to the garden gnome while getting shat on by pigeons, the stupid daft useless old gits.

Mind you, I wear one myself from time to time.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
^!! Yowzah ! I thought I was a raving maniac on this board !! hehehe...

I did recently buy a box for storing cuff links and it came with a terrible pair of links and a matching tie bar (thats right, a MATCHING tie bar). I threw them out. I just figure if I wont be cast in "Reservoir Dogs II" then I dont need it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
1. Tie bars are dated
2. Tie bars are an old man thing
3. Why use tie bars when you can use a tie thing

What is "dated" supposed to mean here? Every component of the modern male wardrobe has been around for quite some time. Tie bars are not unusually old. Besides, there are plenty of people who call double-breasted suits or cuffs "dated," where most of the men on these fora would call them "classic." It's about style, not fashion. (I would, however, agree that certain tie bars look odd.)

More to the point, the rather trendy designer Thom Browne is known for his tie bars. I can't agree with his philosophy on trousers, but it still should be evidence that the tie bar is not for fuddy-duddies alone. Likewise, this rather shiny but apparently fashionable GQ ensemble incorporates one:
https://men.style.com/gq/features/slideshow/v/051607COTTON

·
Site Creator
11,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you really find tie bars to be dated? Many sources in fashion centered literature (including the publication to which you contribute) promote tiebars as being back in style. I ask not to be rude, but out of curiosity. It is interesting how different sources promote different stylistic staples.
Just depends on how many tie bar/tack advertisers the publication has! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a small 18k gold tie clip which I use to keep the tail of the tie and the shirt together. This tie clip was done a number of years ago but the button holes were on the tail of the tie. It did not last very long.
Does any one rember the Countess Mara Tie Press?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
*face palms galore*

Just put the tie tack through the back tie-loop fabric.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1. Tie bars are dated

1. Tie bars are dated
Yes Tie bars are very dated. Men have been wearing them for years and years. Certainly long before i was born and i am a young 55. They must be very stylish for gentlemen (and many aspiring gents) to have been wearing them for the last 150 years.

Yes Tie bars are an old man thing. I am quite sure that a lot of older men wear them, but guess what, a lot of young men wear them too.

Well the tie thing is a wonderful gadget and certainly hold ones tie down in a wind. A Tie Bar on the other hand may also hold ones tie down, but the point of it is that it is a piece of jewellery.
In mens clothing there is not much opportunity for jewellery, the most common being cuff links, tie bars/pins/tacks, collar pins, maybe a pen in the pocket, or a belt buckle. So i think a nice tie bar can make a nice point of focus on an outfit.

Maybe you should re-think your abhorrence of tie bars and try one someday, you may even find you get complimented for it. Wouldnt that be good.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
When I joined Chipp in 1960 we, and Brooks, Press, PS, etc.,all carried tie bars and tie/collar pins from Augie Helmkin (SP?). The gold pins and bars were gold plate on silver, and the silver pins and bars were silver. There were both plain pins and bars and some had motifs- riding crops, golf clubs, tennis rackets, and rifles. ( I still have a small number of those "vintage" items and I sell them at their 1960 prices !) All the ties we make have our label sewn on the back of the tie blade so that it serves as a "keeper". For as long as I can remember I have put the tie tail through the keeper and pinned it to my shirt with a safety pin. ( My guess is the safety pin costs less than 5 cents and are all over the place.) No one sees the safety pin and you can step out into a gale and your tie does not fly in the wind.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I wore a tie bar in prep school for awhile. I had decided they were sort of dorky by the time I entered college 50 years ago (well, 49 1/2 years ago, to be exact). I have eschewed the practice ever since. Frankly, I have never quite been able to discern what I have missed by not wearing one. I don't ride a motorcycle in coat and tie (don't ride one, period), and I don't work around dangerous machinery. If I were out in a gale so violent it would snatch up my tie and blow it into my face, I presume I would be wearing some sort of overcoat that would serve to eliminate the possibility.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.