Registered
1,258 Posts
Placed my order.

Though no check to Andy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Boy would I like my money back...

... I found VERY little in this year's edition to be worthwhile.

I am not an angry old fogey (well, okay, maybe so), but this seemed chock-a-block full of articles, ads, and random information aimed ONLY at those with DEEP pockets and style that changes year-to-year.

The demise of Classic Style Magazine reminds me again how large the chasm between real men, real clothes, and real budgets and the here-today-gone-tomorrow YES YOU CAN spend $600 on a dress shirt mentality that emanates from the editorial offices in NYC.

Maybe my thoughts will change with a second read-through. But the first pass left me completely non-plussed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hoping to not offend

I am really looking forward to picking up my copy ASAP. I hope I don't get in trouble for asking, but is anybody willing to sell the first big black book (2006)? I would really like to purchase one as I missed it when it first came out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I am not an angry old fogey (well, okay, maybe so), but this seemed chock-a-block full of articles, ads, and random information aimed ONLY at those with DEEP pockets and style that changes year-to-year.

The demise of Classic Style Magazine reminds me again how large the chasm between real men, real clothes, and real budgets and the here-today-gone-tomorrow YES YOU CAN spend $600 on a dress shirt mentality that emanates from the editorial offices in NYC.

Maybe my thoughts will change with a second read-through. But the first pass left me completely non-plussed.
I had a similar experience with last year's edition.

·
Registered
915 Posts

I think the "Information" sections are worth the price alone, and I like reading tidbits of history about the various manufacturers and stores. The rest of it I read as if I were reading the Robb Report. I can't afford a fraction of the items listed, but style-wise, I can come close for a lot less.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just placed my order. I really hope they mention a source for quality hangers. I have been searching high and low for a long time.

;)

KM

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's good but could be a lot better....

I like the Big Black Book. However, I do feel that sometimes they don't offer the best advise or knowledge of suits/shirts/shoes. The reason I say this is because when I think of suits, how can a fashion book/style not mention Anderson & Sheppard, Huntsman, Fallen & Harvey e.t.c...... It seems they focus only on brand names such as Tom Ford, Gucci e.t.c

The same can be said for shoes. The mainly focus on Rossetti, Weston, Lattanzi, John Lobb and Tods. How can you not mention Edward Green, G J Cleverley, Crockett & Jones to name but a few. Last years GQ Style did a good job.

I think some of the Ask Andy members could write a better book on style and clothes.....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.