Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is apparently limited. I placed an order for a few ties on sale. I got two seperate shipments, one from NYC, one from NH. I was sold the same tie TWICE (one from NYC, one from New Haven) and was given two ties that should have been bows but were sent as regular neckties. I also was given a tie that I was told they did not have in stock...if it wasn't so damn expensive, I may have seen it as charming, how an old school trad company just doesn't have the internet savviness (spell check that one please) but at a couple of hundred dollars I'm pissed. Are they decent with fixing mistakes?

***Edit-OK, I do see it as charming now...called the New Haven store where most of the ties came from, and the rep not only was very accomodating but remembered the order without me mentioning any part of it! Neck ties will be swapped for bows, and the backordered ties I did not receive will come soon!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Are you really in Brooklyn? If so just go to the store and have them sort it out.

I think we could assemble a book with people's rantings and ravings about the J Press website. I have ordered from it a couple of times with no trouble, but I can fully understand people's frustrations. Your story sounds particularly bad. To just flat out send you the wrong thing is bad. They should make it right by paying for return shipping.

I'd say, in the future...for those considering using the Press website...if you worried about it, just call them. It's still the kind of store where having 'a guy' goes a long way.

Danny

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Like Paul Stuart, Press has no dedicated back office or warehouse facility behind the site. They do all the shipping from the stores. I've had a number of similar goof-ups with Press web orders.

On the other hand, their store staffs do indeed take the trouble to get to know their customers, and are extremely helpful. Plus, real human beings answer the phones. In these days when you can be on a line for 20 minutes just fighting through the robo-call automated voice-recognition technology just to get to a bored customer-service rep, that's kind of refreshing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Flawless on-line procedures are nice, (Duluth Trading Co., for instance, is superb) but there is something nice about the personal touch at J. Press. I phoned in an order today using the number at the bottom of their web page and got connected to the New York store. A salesman came on, introduced himself, took the order and it all seemed to work out fine. He emphasized that I should call him personally if there were any problems and gave me a direct line number. I like that.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
They were pretty good in answering questions of mine. They referred me to their closest bricks and mortar store which carry long rise khakis and said I could call and order right from them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My pet peeve

when ordering through the internet site is that they do not advise if the item is in stock or reserved for the customer (as BB does) . Sometimes this takes 2-3 days, especially if ordered on a Friday.

If I knew immediately that the item is not available I could then place an order for an alternative and they would keep the sale.
ss

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I recently ordered 3 ties from Press. I know they are comming because after about 2 weeks (the holidays, you know) they charged my credit card. Who knows what I'll get. Normally I would just contact DW in NY and let him handle the sale, but I hate sending him off searching for ties. I may regret my decision to use the website, but it seemed so easy and I forgot how sometimes things can go awry. The folks at Press never hesitate to make substitutions. Gotta expect that.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I recently ordered 3 ties from Press. I know they are comming because after about 2 weeks (the holidays, you know) they charged my credit card. Who knows what I'll get. Normally I would just contact DW in NY and let him handle the sale, but I hate sending him off searching for ties. I may regret my decision to use the website, but it seemed so easy and I forgot how sometimes things can go awry. The folks at Press never hesitate to make substitutions. Gotta expect that.
Slightly off-topic here, but is David Wilder really that good, that basically everyone on this forum recommends that he be your guy when you go to the Press NYC store? Seems kind of unfair to the other salesmen - they gotta eat too!

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Slightly off-topic here, but is David Wilder really that good, that basically everyone on this forum recommends that he be your guy when you go to the Press NYC store? Seems kind of unfair to the other salesmen - they gotta eat too!
I was very impressed with Trevor at the DC store when I was there in August. He was very knowledgeable and informative.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
A Mr. Haber helped me when I bought a few smaller items in the Manhattan store a few months ago. He was terrific.

·
Registered
225 Posts
other salesmen... they gotta eat

Only good things to say about Ed Evans in NYC -- 30+ years in the business.

Monday is his day off, and David's lunch hour is 2-3pm as I recall. So when I last visited, I didn't deal with anyone since I came at 2:30 on the Monday after Christmas. Always nice to prance around and have a little look, though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was actually handed off to David on my first trip to the NYC store. I was exchanging a suit that was a size too small. He's terrific.
The J Press in DC was the first one I had ever visited, while interning in DC one summer, and Trevor just happened to be working when I went in. He is also great.
I am sure that the other reps are excellent, these just happen to be the people that helped me when I went into the store(s).
Trevor used to post here on AAAC though I don't think I have seen him around in some time.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
+1. When calling the DC store, I always ask for Trevor. He's a very good guy.

Cheers.
Mad props to Trevor. Delivered magnificently last summer during the 70-percent off sale, finding a navy blazer in my size for almost nothing via long distance phone call. Dealings with the Internet side of J. Press, however, have been adventures, to say the least. They will never, ever screw you, but getting orders right the first time can be tough.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Dude, DW used to post here. That's how I became his customer and probably why so many others are as well. Trevor seems like a great chap and would not hesitate to use him except that 1) I travel to NY more than DC and 2) I suspect that the NY store has more XLong sizes in stock, though I don't know this. I hope to get to DC sometime in the next few years so I look forward to meeting DeskJockey, although I don't know his real name and will feel kind of silly asking for the DeskJockey.

·
Registered
225 Posts
DW used to post here...

but doesn't any longer, though he does check messages if you care to send one. Ed Evans used to post here, too --don't remember what name he used. And Creative Director Mark McNairy also posted here until the escalation to Global-Thermonuclear-War. After that, no more posts from anyone at Press, if I recall correctly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.