Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if J. Press has any kind of guarantee on their clothing. I ask because I recently bought an OCBD shirt there and noticed today, after the third or fourth washing of the shirt, that the box pleat on the back of the shirt had torn at one side. The horror, the horror.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then again, there's always the universal warranty: return it to Nordstrom.
Haha. I've contacted customer service and explained the situation. I just wanted to receive some response from them before waltzing into the store with a ripped OCBD demanding redress like a mad man. I'll post an update when I hear back from them.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Hard to imagine an establishment like theirs wouldn't take it back. Then again, there's always the universal warranty: return it to Nordstrom.
Ha ha! That's right Nordstrom will take anything back. It makes you wonder if it hurts their bottom line. I was with someone who returned shoes there 5 years after he bought them and they gave him the current price back so he actually made money on them.

Danny

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Ha ha! That's right Nordstrom will take anything back. It makes you wonder if it hurts their bottom line. I was with someone who returned shoes there 5 years after he bought them and they gave him the current price back so he actually made money on them.

Danny
The infamous tire story is true - as explained to the staff in orientation, Nordstrom expanded into Alaska by buying a chain that was more like Sears. The customer had actually bought the tires from the previous company, so it wasn't that much of a stretch for Nordstrom to take them back.

I was disappointed in my last visit to Nordstrom - a friend is looking for a tuxedo, and I went by to see what they had. When I bought mine in 1999, I told the salesman that I wanted a one-button, peak lapel, and he told me that he knew he had some HSMs in Dallas, which he had transferred in for me. This time, the salesman showed me two two-button notch-lapel tuxedos and when I inquired about the more traditional style he seemed irritated that I didn't think what he had to offer was good enough.

For those in Atlanta, the gentleman who shines shoes at the Phipps store is the best I've ever seen. And even giving him a 100% tip on the posted price of $2.50 it's a bargain.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats

Congrats! I have a Press veal belt that hasn't been holding up very well. (I've only worn it about five times.) I may bring it into the Manhattan store to see if they'll take it back.

On a side note, I exchanged a shirt at Brooks this weekend, and they raised a fuss about it. Has anyone tried to return or exchange anything recently and found their once generous return policy to be much more stringent now? I'm particularly interested in experiences at the Madison Ave store.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It's my experience that if you truly believe you deserve a replacement then you will get one. You don't have to stress out about it. If you enter into the discussion with the attitude that 'obviously' you are going to be taken care of and you're just kindly explaining what is wrong with the garment...then usually the circumstance works itself out.

If you seem a bit unsure, like you feel you are trying to get away with something, that might elicit a different response from the salesman.

Honesty and calm humility work just fine.

A salesman would generally endevour to stand behind his merchandise.

Danny

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's my experience that if you truly believe you deserve a replacement then you will get one. You don't have to stress out about it. If you enter into the discussion with the attitude that 'obviously' you are going to be taken care of and you're just kindly explaining what is wrong with the garment...then usually the circumstance works itself out.

If you seem a bit unsure, like you feel you are trying to get away with something, that might elicit a different response from the salesman.

Honesty and calm humility work just fine.

A salesman would generally endevour to stand behind his merchandise.

Danny
I agree completely. I was just a little reluctant because I have never had to return a defective item in my life. I've never even returned an article of clothing before for any reason. Never sent anything back at a restaurant. etc.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
A good salesman--and they have them at Press--will cheerfully exchange the shirt and then inquire as to whether you have all the ties you need to go with it . . . and wouldn't this one and this one just look great? plus they're on sale, etc. etc.

I bought a shirt from the Press mail-order operation a couple of seasons ago, set it aside for some months, and then when I finally got around to taking it out of the cellophane and unpinning it noticed that a seam was unstitched for an inch or so along one shoulder (an obvious manufacturing defect). The clerk at the DC Press took it back instantly upon seeing the defect and said that in fact, Press would send a shirt like that back to the manufacturer because of such a problem--the shirt never should have made it through quality control.

He then found me a replacement shirt, with which I've been very happy.

When I was in marketing, one of the axioms we learned was that a generous, ironclad guarantee will always bring in more business than it costs in terms of dubious returns.

Businesses, btw, have a very good idea of the overall cost of returns and build that into their pricing model. I offer that not as an excuse for making suspect returns (which yours definitely is not, IMO) but rather to assure you that the basic return contingency has been analyzed and covered.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree completely. I was just a little reluctant because I have never had to return a defective item in my life. I've never even returned an article of clothing before for any reason. Never sent anything back at a restaurant. etc.
Never had to or never wanted to? Never had to then you lead an incredibly charmed life. Never wanted to? In that case, as the above posters have mentioned, if you're making legitimate returns you have nothing to be apprehensive about. A purchase is, after all, a contract between you and the merchant. They expect you to live-up to the deal in terms of payment. You have every right to demand the goods you bargained for in return.

·
Registered
200 Posts
returns at jpress

I have had a problem with slacks that had stiching unravel at press (the old group at DC) they wanted to sew it back but I ranted and they finally gave me a new pair. The stiching unravelled after one wear.

Brooks has never been a problem. I have returned shoes that weren't comfortable and shirts that didn't wear well. They count on customer loyalty if you use the same salesperson.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never had to or never wanted to? Never had to then you lead an incredibly charmed life. Never wanted to? In that case, as the above posters have mentioned, if you're making legitimate returns you have nothing to be apprehensive about. A purchase is, after all, a contract between you and the merchant. They expect you to live-up to the deal in terms of payment. You have every right to demand the goods you bargained for in return.
Never had to. Most of the clothes I've had have been hand-me-downs.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I have had a problem with slacks that had stiching unravel at press (the old group at DC) they wanted to sew it back but I ranted and they finally gave me a new pair. The stiching unravelled after one wear.
I bought a pair of Joseph Abboud pants at Saks many years ago. The side seams started coming undone after the first wearing, so I took them back.

The department manager informed me that they came apart because I bought them a size too small, and that I should seek the assistance of a salesperson in the future.

He initially didn't want to take them back because they'd been hemmed. By the store tailor.

I didn't shop there again for years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.