Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been looking over the new JPress stuff and their manager at the DC store was excited to show me their new vintage stone washed chino and their new charcoal grey 2-ply poplin pants. If I were to purchase either of these casual pants, would I have them cuffed or just hemmed? If I purchased a stone washed chino at JCrew they would be most likely hemmed to my length, but now some of the style blogs are saying to size up on length and roll-cuff them when you put them on? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So many threads about cuffing lately . . . I feel like a parrot that only knows one phrase. I cuff all my trousers---1 3/4" - 2"---(if I had formal trousers, they'd be the exception), not because of any blog, but because it's what I like. Really, it's personal preference. Go with what you like best.

I've seen a few gents doing the self-cuff quite successfully in WAYW (sizing up and just rolling the cuff). It will make your trousers that much more casual though, so keep that in mind.

If you order from J. Crew's site, there is a 1 1/2" free cuff option (or at least there used to be when that's where I was buying all my khakis).

One thing to consider also is that cuffs improve drape, and the thinner the trouser material the more the cuff will impact the drape. Thinner materials may benefit from a cuff more so than thicker ones.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi. I have been looking over the new JPress stuff and their manager at the DC store was excited to show me their new vintage stone washed chino and their new charcoal grey 2-ply poplin pants. If I were to purchase either of these casual pants, would I have them cuffed or just hemmed? If I purchased a stone washed chino at JCrew they would be most likely hemmed to my length, but now some of the style blogs are saying to size up on length and roll-cuff them when you put them on? Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks
JPress will just cuff your pants for you in house when you buy them.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
My personal preference depends on the material. For the rougher hewn fabrics like J.Crew or RL chinos, I tend to use the turn-up method and I think it looks good. (Check out Gnatty8 on the WAYWT thread on the AAAC Fashion Forum for pics)

For my BB advantage chinos and other more "pressed" looking trousers I like an honest to goodness cuff around 2"

For the Trad aesthetic I think the cuff is little more "Correct," but only the tribal elders adhere to every single tenet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Doo wat doo wat, doo wat doo wat, doo wat doo wat

Do as you wish, of course, which is the essence of American freedom. But if you want to look good, cuff all pants. Except jeans, though rolling them up is a time-honored tradition. And except uniforms, of which black-tie, white-tie, morning coat, etc. are variants and never, never cuffed. As for the matter of drape, yes, light fabrics need the extra weight to keep the pant legs falling gracefully. And heavier fabrics. . . well, Duke Ellington used to at least triple cuff his to give pant legs that swing without which it don't mean a thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.