Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had strong opinions about Joseph Abboud and/or Hart Schaffner Marx. I have had as many as 4 Abboud suits and am generally happy with them (save the on-seam pockets!) and I think the bargain I got on my Marx suit made it a worthwhile purchase.
I have had luck at the abboud outlet at Woodbury Commons, I'm wondering if there is anywhere to get discount Hart Schaffner Marx suits.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone ever responded?

What about the shirts and ties by Joseph Abboud and/or Hart Schaffner Marx?

Thank you

I was wondering if anyone had strong opinions about Joseph Abboud and/or Hart Schaffner Marx. I have had as many as 4 Abboud suits and am generally happy with them (save the on-seam pockets!) and I think the bargain I got on my Marx suit made it a worthwhile purchase.
I have had luck at the abboud outlet at Woodbury Commons, I'm wondering if there is anywhere to get discount Hart Schaffner Marx suits.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
I've never seen a J. Abboud suit that I really liked (since I don't like full front fusing, and that's all I've seen from them), but HSM makes a nice"workhorse" suit (1/2 canvassed in most if not all cases). HSM can be had at discount at Off Fifth (Saks outlet) and Syms (if you have one near you). At Syms, they used to sell for $299--not sure what they sell for currently there--and if you are near the WC Outlet Center, you should be near at least one Syms (locations posted on Syms.com).

·
Registered
109 Posts
JAB suits, jackets, shorts and ties

i have six Joseph Abboud suits, and three sport jackets. You can do REALLY well on Joseph Abboud stuff at the Soiffer Haskin sale that comes every six months or so, though the selection may not be great. (You see alot of the more "interesting" patterns that did not sell during the season. You know, the classic grey glenn plaid suit that would be perfect, except for the purple stripe in it.)

That said, I just bought two Hickey Freeman Madison sport jackets at the latest SH sale ($500!), and i think i am officially converted to full canvasing. I won't be buying any more Joseph Abboud suits or coats.

As for the shirts and ties, the colors and patterns are nice (albeit a little earth tone based), but they are not at all durable. And the fact that Abboud sizes the shirts in double increments (32/33, 34/45, 36/37 etc) makes the fit somewhat imprecise. I get my shirts and ties from CT now.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,801 Posts
My recommendation would be to walk away from the Joseph Abboud offerings and look to HSM for you future suiting needs...very good, workhorse suits and odd jackets for a great price, when bought at deep discount (as indicated in prior posts to this thread). Having worn them for more than 30 years, I've never been disappointed with HSM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If Dillards are in your area, you might try them. I've had great luck getting HSM suits for under $200 - usually during post-sale inventory time, with additional markdowns below the tagged sale price.
I'd stay away from the Abboud - never bought the suits, but shirts and accessories have *very* limited lifespan (at least in my experience).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That said, I just bought two Hickey Freeman Madison sport jackets at the latest SH sale ($500!), and i think i am officially converted to full canvasing.
Congrats on your new sport coats! (That was my reaction, too, the first time I put on a jacket that had full-front canvassing, although I have bought a few 1/2 canvassed garments since then.)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
HSM is a better suit but if you have an athletic build, Abboud might fit better as they have an 8 in. drop instead of HSM's standard 6 in.

HSM's Golden Fleece is excellent quality as far as fused suits go. Abboud is middling and often uses cheap fabrics.

Abboud accessories and shirts are generally overpriced and not well made. HSM makes a decent shirt though I think there are better out there for the price. Both Abboud and HSM cut their shirts like tents.

Abboud and HSM make horrible ties that should be avoided at all cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've owned 4 Abboud suits. I got good use out of all of them. For the price, the fabrics and the cut were ok. I bought them about 10 years ago and have since upgraded, but still I can say nothing bad about them. The ties are another story. I have a few Abboud ties and, in fact, just bought one at Saks over the summer. I find that Abboud ties are styled more to coordinate with other things than to stand out on their own. That makes them well suited to matching with striped shirts or with suits that could use a more muted tie. The quality of the ties are fine, as good as most brands in that price range. Quality, when it comes to ties, is overblown. It's more important to wear a tie that compliments your outfit than to wear a tie with special construction or fabric.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I rarely see any Abboud ties that stick out at me as something I'd want. This isn't to say they're awful or anything; if you see one you like and it ties well, go for it. I've seen a few HSM ties at Nordstrom Rack; they are frequently unattractive and feel cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.