Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a versatile navy suit, and stumbled onto this, and they are currently having a 40% off clearance, making it $120.

https://www.josbank.com/signature-collection-tailored-fit-check-suit-clearance

Yes, I know their marked retail price of $700 is just a marketing tactic, and you would have to be a sucker to pay the full price.
Still, when I consider 100% merino wood, Bemberg lining, soft shoulders, etc, I can't help but think that this IS a solid deal. With $120, you would normally have to settle with polyester blend suit from JC Penney.

So my questions is,
1) Do you think this is a good value for the quality of suit?
2) How do Jos A Bank "tailored-fit" suits fit? I know they at least used to have a reputation for boxy cuts, high rising pants, etc. I don't need a skinny fit suit, but I do want something that is trim and decently tapered.

Thank you!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, I had a recent post about this and noted that several of the younger lawyers in my firm buy these when they have the frequent 50% off clearance which makes them a bit under $100. I don't think they look bad for the money. I get the JAB pop up ads now and then and was wondering if the suits with a supposed sticker price a bit over $1600 and supposedly on sale for $249 were noticeably better than the suits with a sticker of $698 and on sale for $99. I still don't really know the answer to that, but from what I see, if you are only going to pay around $100 for a suit, you'll probably get your money's worth...

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
Needs to be put in perspective -

A. Paul Stuart wants to charge $165 for some pocket squares. In light of that, if the thing fits and stays on your body, how can a $120 suit be bad, even if it's junk!? Unless, of course, it makes you look like a clown.

B. Hold out for them to pay YOU $120 to take it out of the store!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Still, when I consider 100% merino wood,... etc., I can't help but think that this IS a solid deal.
I couldn't agree more! A suit made of 100% merino wood--that's as solid as it gets. (I prefer that my workhorse suits be made of solid oak, but merino wood is excellent when you need to step up the elegance a notch.)

1) Do you think this is a good value for the quality of suit?
Paul Winston, an esteemed member of this forum, has wisely said, "If you like what you got at the price that you paid, then you got a good value."

I'd say that $120.00 for a navy blue suit that will last at least a year and that fits you properly is a very good value.

2) How do Jos A Bank "tailored-fit" suits fit?
A generalization won't do you any good. The only way to find out how the suit will fit YOU is to try it on. Perhaps it will fit you beautifully. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Signature line is half canvassed and Super 100s-110s depending on how old the item is. Most are made in Jordan, Egypt, or Mexico. I have seen them go on sale between $79 and $129 before. The pants already have their "shirt grippers" inside the waistline which has to be one of the favorite things to up sell you on at both MW and JAB. If the cut of their suit fits you I think it is a great value for a general workhorse suit.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
And this is about the price point where JAB represents an acceptable value.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Regarding suits around $100, I received an email today from Dobell saying something about suits for $99.95. Don't know anything about them, but they seem a little vague about the fabric which likely is bad news...

Reactions: Clintotron

·
Registered
860 Posts
Regarding suits around $100, I received an email today from Dobell saying something about suits for $99.95. Don't know anything about them, but they seem a little vague about the fabric which likely is bad news...
Dobell DOES have Harris Tweed offerings, but the HT items are somewhat pricier than the other no-name stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.