Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I give them a try?

I would normally prefer Brooks Brothers, but Jos A Bank are far more affordable, and with an overcoat I am thinking that issues like fit and canvassing are less important -- so why pay the premium?

I would love to hear thoughts on Jos A Bank, or on whether it's worth the extra investment to buy at Brooks Brothers. Thanks in advance.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
While I certainly want my overcoat to fit properly, I will admit to not being quite the stickler on this as I am with suit coats and sport coats. The primary purpose of my overcoat is to keep me warm and if I can accomplish that with less money I won't hesitate to do so.

Having said that, if the cheaper coat is made of poor quality material it probably won't last very long if worn frequently and you aren't really saving money. That's why I think that there is a point of diminishing returns as far as the coat doing what it is supposed to do while still looking good.

I have a London Fog overcoat which is probably comparable to the JAB coat and it has been a really good coat. It keeps me warm and still looks good after several years of wear, both with suits and with jeans. No doubt a Brooks Brothers coat would be of higher quality and I can't say that I wouldn't have bought the BB coat if I had had the disposable income lying around at the time, but I didn't and the London Fog has done an admirable job for me.

Cruiser

· Registered
103 Posts
I like BB clothes myself but as stated by Cruiser I would rather spend more on a quality suit and perhaps shoes. I would defiantly purchase an overcoat from JAB if it was priced right. In fact I may check what they have myself since I already purchased a couple of BB suits. So go for it you can do allot worse than JAB and make sure it is during one of their many sales.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been in the market for a new overcoat. I checked out the offerings from JAB, BB, some local stores and Macy's. I found that some of the brands at Macy's have a little nicer material then the JAB coats, and are the same price or a little cheaper if you have one of the Macy's credit cards. They are all made in China but do have a nice drape and sheen compared to the JAB model.

· Registered
477 Posts
Its been a while (last year) when I ordered a JAB overcoat. It was a wool/cashmere blend. I was really hoping for a great coat that felt good and had good fabric. When I received the coat I was so disapointed. It felt cheap, the fabric was very rough and did not look right.

I ended up sending it back and have not been back scense. Instead I went to BR and bought the same coat which was just beautiful. The fabric felt so soft, looked good, and even had the hidden front buttons. It was 90%wool and 10% cashmere.

IMO I would not buy JAB overcoats.

· Registered
152 Posts
I've never owned a JAB overcoat, but I would consider one. I looked at them in the store a couple of weeks ago, and while some of them did look cheap, there were others I rather liked. I did notice that they are a bit oversized. I wear a 41 jacket, and a 42 coat looked like a tent on me.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I would be leery of JAB camel-hair coats ....

and any coat made in China. I have seen camel-hair coats starting to pill still in the store. From people trying them on I suppose. If you could buy a lesser quality coat that just wears out faster, JAB and like brands might be ok. But if they look bad from the start, the coat is not worth the lower price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.