Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
No personal experience with them, however having seen them they are nothing special. Certainly not at the price point being asked. This business of being bondwelted sounds like glue.

By the way, Handcrafted/made can mean almost anything.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have owned two pair. They are beautiful shoes with fine, almost flawless, smooth leather. They are very lightweight with thin flexible leather uppers, making them extremely comfortable. The leather soles are also very thin and smooth. They are so flexible and light that I sometimes use them instead of dance shoes for ballroom dancing.

However, these are somewhat fragile shoes. The uppers are so thin and flexible that sometimes the uppers will "roll" over the edge of the sole. If this happens outside on pavement the uppers will be badly scarred. I have butchered the toes of both pairs of these shoes by rolling the toes over the edge of the very thin soles with hidden welts. Also the soles are very thin and will wear out very quickly. Bottom line is if you are looking for a beautiful streamlined lightweight comfortable shoe, this is for you, but if you find such a shoe too fragile and easily wornout, skip these. I like J&M shoes, but I like a little more beef on my shoes than the handmade italian line.

·
Registered
595 Posts
By the way, Handcrafted/made can mean almost anything.
+1. JCPenney's Stafford brand of shoes are labeled as "handcrafted" when they are made at either the Weyco or Cole-Haan plant.

That said, I possess a pair of vintage J&M shoes (1990s, perhaps?) that were made in Italy, and they are very lightweight... so much that they are certainly confined to weekend and general leisure. To use them daily would sentence them to death within 8 months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For $100 they are beautifull and comfortable right off the shelf. I buy the two tone leather ones for travelling/flying as they are light weight, slip off easily and very comfortable with no break-in period. THAT being said, consider them as throw-aways. The first trip across gravel or the odd desert/farm walk, and they are finished. THIN soles, fragile leather, great feel, just a temporary thing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a pair of Italian made (waterprof) tan (nu)bucks from about 5 yrs ago. They are hot, sweaty, and not well made. They are waterproof but it doesnt matter because when they are wet the tan turns brown and looks wet, and your foot is soaked in sweat anyway.

paid about $90 on sale, but in retrospect should not have paid more than $40. Get worn 1-3 times a summer.

In a word, Il Crappo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.