Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited his website, and though I'm not in the market, I was impressed by what I saw and read. The work looked pretty good to my mediocre eye, and the price seemed surprisingly modest. Modest to the extent that it raises my skepticism.

A search yielded mostly older experiences, and mainly from only one poster. And while I respect that poster's opinion, I am curious if any other member has experiences or opinions regarding this tailor that they can offer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I visited his website, and though I'm not in the market, I was impressed by what I saw and read. The work looked pretty good to my mediocre eye, and the price seemed surprisingly modest. Modest to the extent that it raises my skepticism.

A search yielded mostly older experiences, and mainly from only one poster. And while I respect that poster's opinion, I am curious if any other member has experiences or opinions regarding this tailor that they can offer.
I've used Johnathan Behr for two suits and I'm pleased with the results.

For the first suit I went with a Fintes fabric in grey sharkskine with a subtle blue window pane, the second suit was a VBC in navy herringbone. The first suit required a basted fitting, I skipped the basted fitting on the second suit as my meaurements were on file. If I had requested a basted fitting for the second suit I could have had one.

I told Johnathan that I wanted a "timeless" suit, which as far as I concerned is what I got. I tweaked the second suit ever so slightly, adding a fastener ?? in place of belt loops and tapering the pants somewhat. I'm not qualified to speak on the construction of the suit, but it seems fine to me. However, the fit is superb.

How did I learn about Johanthan? From LA Ron's review here and in Style Forum. Ron's review is pretty accurate as far as the experience you get when you meet Mr. Behr. Please be aware that I do not know Ron, nor have I ever had any contact with him whatsoever.

Why did I use Johnathan?

The main reason is that I have a number as far as cost is concerrned that I did not want to cross. At that time the only options I knew about (in LA) were Behr or Chan. I did not have the patience to deal with Chan, I figured if there was going to be a problem with the suit it would be easier to go back to Pasadena, as opposed to sending a suit back to Hong Kong. Also, I thought there may have been some language issues with the Chan people. From what I've seen of Chan suits they seem pretty good, now I would have no hesitation in using Chan.

You should be aware that Johnathan is not a tailor, but a bespoke clothier ( i think that is the term used). Obviously someone else is doing the actual tailoring.

I would recommend Johnahan and I would use him again. Having said that I may look to use another LA tailor. That should not be seen as a sign of any dissatisfaction on my part, but a curiosity about other tailors.

Why do you ask about Johnathan Behr? He seems a long way from you.

I hope this was not too long winded and you found it somewhat helpful.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used Johnathan Behr for two suits and I'm pleased with the results.

For the first suit I went with a Fintes fabric in grey sharkskine with a subtle blue window pane, the second suit was a VBC in navy herringbone. The first suit required a basted fitting, I skipped the basted fitting on the second suit as my meaurements were on file. If I had requested a basted fitting for the second suit I could have had one.

I told Johnathan that I wanted a "timeless" suit, which as far as I concerned is what I got. I tweaked the second suit ever so slightly, adding a fastener ?? in place of belt loops and tapering the pants somewhat. I'm not qualified to speak on the construction of the suit, but it seems fine to me. However, the fit is superb.

How did I learn about Johanthan? From LA Ron's review here and in Style Forum. Ron's review is pretty accurate as far as the experience you get when you meet Mr. Behr. Please be aware that I do not know Ron, nor have I ever had any contact with him whatsoever.

Why did I use Johnathan?

The main reason is that I have a number as far as cost is concerrned that I did not want to cross. At that time the only options I knew about (in LA) were Behr or Chan. I did not have the patience to deal with Chan, I figured if there was going to be a problem with the suit it would be easier to go back to Pasadena, as opposed to sending a suit back to Hong Kong. Also, I thought there may have been some language issues with the Chan people. From what I've seen of Chan suits they seem pretty good, now I would have no hesitation in using Chan.

You should be aware that Johnathan is not a tailor, but a bespoke clothier ( i think that is the term used). Obviously someone else is doing the actual tailoring.

I would recommend Johnahan and I would use him again. Having said that I may look to use another LA tailor. That should not be seen as a sign of any dissatisfaction on my part, but a curiosity about other tailors.

Why do you ask about Johnathan Behr? He seems a long way from you.

I hope this was not too long winded and you found it somewhat helpful.
Thank you for your very detailed report, I certainly did not find it long winded at all.

My interest in Mr. Behr only pertains to my interest in clothing in general. As I mentioned, I'm not in the market, and would seek sources closer to home if I were. It's simply fun to me to learn about clothing artisans and their work.

I am curious to learn more about how he builds his clothing, though I'm not knowledgable enough to absorb some of those details anyway. I looked at his website again after my OP, and believe I recall seeing the term "full canvas." The work seems carefully and skillfully done, though it looks as if most, or perhaps all of it is machine sewn. I don't recall mention of an individual pattern. At his prices, with fabrics being used, I suspect it most likely that his clothing might best be described as a variety of MTM.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, as a very fine garment can be produced in that manner. Considering your and the other poster's description of the fit, the results sound very good indeed.

I once had the services of a CMT, where my guy did the cutting himself based on my measurements and preferences applied to a standard pattern for my general size. He would then do a basted fitting, making adjustments, send it elsewhere to be finished, then have it returned and add button holes, etc. and make any additional small adjustments. The results were often very pleasing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.