Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word has come that John Updike died earlier today of lung cancer.

Many would consider him the greatest American writer of the second half of the twentieth century. It would certainly be hard to come close to his output of novels, short stories, poetry, and criticism, and he was a prose stylist second to none.

I consider this a great personal loss.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Word has come that John Updike died earlier today of lung cancer.

Many would consider him the greatest American writer of the second half of the twentieth century. It would certainly be hard to come close to his output of novels, short stories, poetry, and criticism, and he was a prose stylist second to none.

I consider this a great personal loss.
^Well stated, Jack. Though I've read several of Updike's criticisms and essays, I have come upon his novels fairly recently. My goal is to make it through the Rabbit series within the next year or so.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
"To everything there is a season."
But it's still a feeling of loss when a contemporary writer, or any great artist dies.
You go to the last movie, recording or published work and it's like uncorking the last bottle of a favourite vintage wine.
You drink it slowly savor every sip, swirling of the glass in light and bouquet.
And then it's over, and the media bombards you once again with a powerdrink pop star.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.