Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any JL afficianados out there who can help me with the fit of the Vale? I have had my eyes on this beautiful shoe for quite some time now. I wear a 10D US. I have a more narrow heel, but the rest of my foot is medium width. Would I wear a 9.5/10 in the JL? For those of you who have this shoe, how does it fit -- narrow, wide? Where did you purchase your pair? Thinking about the chestnut brown. Anyone have that one? Any help from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lux

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Beautiful shoe Pengranger. JayJay, when you say true to size, if I wear a 10D, the JL size is 9.5/10 as marked on the inside of the shoe? Right? Can you tell me your size and the JL fit accordingly? I get a little confused when there are two sizes, want to make sure I have a clear understanding.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
........if I wear a 10D, the JL size is 9.5/10 as marked on the inside of the shoe?........I get a little confused when there are two sizes, want to make sure I have a clear understanding.
To my knowledge, John Lobb does not mark with two sizes (although I have never seen JL shoes intended for the US market);
it's Edward Green who does that.

Nevertheless, the smaller size is English, the larger one American.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bengal, thanks. On the NM website they list the sizes together. I don't recall, however, when I've tried them on in Wilkes-Bashford and NM, that both sizes were marked on the inside of the shoe. I understand the differences in UK and US sizing, but want to ensure that the 10 in the JL fits like a US 10. None of the stores in the SF area stock the Vale so I am unable to try on the same shoe (last) in a 10. I will be looking for other styles built on the same last to confirm fit. Any suggestions on styles on the same last anyone?

Lux

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jimbob. Do you have other JLs built on the same last or similar? I would like to try size 9 to confirm the fit. Wilkes in SF does not stock it. NM stocks a few styles in the store, has the Vale online and at BG. Does the Jeremyn II fit similar? It has a different toe. I've tried the Chapel. It runs a little wide for me. Appreciate the advice.

Lux

· Registered
2,500 Posts
If you can't find the shoe at a location near you and you can swing it, order both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit. I have come to learn that any shoe can fit differently on each person. If I was to pay $1,500 for a shoe, I'd want to try it in all sizes until I had a perfect fit regardless of the relatively small return shipping costs.

· Registered
182 Posts
Vale size

I have nine pairs of Lobbs and they are all 8's. I'm not sure of all the lasts but they are all great fitting shoes. I'm angry because my Chapels did'nt arrive today which means I'll have to stay home until 4PM tomorrow. I have them shipped to save weight in my luggage and I don't have to pay the sales tax. We're fortunate here in PA because we don't pay tax on clothes. But since there's no Lobb dealer in Pittsburgh I wait til I go visit my daughter in SF and then buy my Lobbs. You might try NM if you can't find at Wilkes. They are usually very helpful Especially a SA name Roger Baumann. Good luck in your quest. I always get compliments on my Vales.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Are there any JL afficianados out there who can help me with the fit of the Vale? I have had my eyes on this beautiful shoe for quite some time now. I wear a 10D US. I have a more narrow heel, but the rest of my foot is medium width. Would I wear a 9.5/10 in the JL? For those of you who have this shoe, how does it fit -- narrow, wide? Where did you purchase your pair? Thinking about the chestnut brown. Anyone have that one? Any help from the experts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lux
I have done what you want to do. That is try on different sizes inth JL shoes to get the right fit and size. I wear an American 11 D. But In JL I wear a 10.5E in any of the lasts. I have 4 pairs of Lobbs all 10.5 E regardless of the last. I think they run 1/2 size smaller than the size I wear. I find that EG run almost 3/4 size smaller. Therefore I buy an 11 E EG to fit my 11D US. They are a tad loose but better than the 10 1/2 E EG that hurts my left foot.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
I suppose that I too, would vote for a full size down in the JL last 8000.

Leather Soul in Honolulu is now carrying JL and I tried on a Vale 8.5E UK on the 8000 last Friday. It felt very comfortable immediately (maybe even a bit large for me) which is quite the contrast to most lasts in 8.5EUK from C&J as well as EG. I do wear the C&J, G&G and EG in 8.5E UK but they tend to feel quite tight as I first try them on.

I wore the JL Sutton (also on the 8000 last and the 8.5EUK sizing) yesterday and it definitely feels roomier in all dimensions from my 8.5E EGs and C&Js.

Although I happily wear an 8.5E UK in all the above (and a 9D in Alden and AE) I definitely feel that the JL 8000 last is roomier than the EG and C&J and I could completely understand someone buying a full size down from US in JL and a 0.5 size down for their C&Js, G&Gs and EGs.

I believe the stock at Leather Soul is Chestnut Museum Calf and you might see if Tom has both sizes you are looking at. If so you might try your best guess and if it doesn't work you may be able to work a deal to ship them back for the other size. Currently Tom doesn't have a Ca store so your savings in sales tax should more than cover shipping.

Of course you could also hop Hawaiian Air and go visit him in Waikiki. Where else are you going to find a store that stocks JL, G&G, EG, Weston and Alden?

Perry

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So true pkincy. Thanks all for the advice, input. I am confident that I have the necessary fit detail to move forward and purchase. Jimbob, I hope you get your Chapels today. Beautiful shoe as well. Did you get the brown (mahogany color) or the black? Great in the brown. Btw, Roger at NM has helped me a few times. He is a good guy, knows his shoe brands.

Lux

· Registered
63 Posts
Hi everyone

Also got a question on John Lobb size, I wear a US 9.5D/E. For Ferragamo I wear 8.5EE, for Testoni 8.5E, any idea if John Lobb 8.5E on last 7000 would work for me (internet purchase, can't try on, someone is selling it for 335 pounds).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.