Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
John H Daniel Made in USA

I am writing to bring to your attention one of the last great MTM houses left in the USA.

In addition to our own bespoke/custom clothing we are proud to work in partnership John H Daniel as a resource for our MTM products. Did you know they are the largest user of Zegna cloth in the USA?

www.johnhdaniel.com

Made in the USA. Help support our country!

I have no reason to support this company other than I want to keep tailoring alive in the USA.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
My preferred shop recently added this line to his store. He has been very impressed with the fit and quality of the garments. He has mentioned several times that their pattern matching is incredibly accurate. I believe my birthday present in May will be a JHD suit.

How do the fused garments compare to the canvas ones? Is it worth the extra dough to go up a level in construction?

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I checked out the John H Daniels site ....

and the Romualdo site and was able to glean little or no information. These are the types of internet sites one doesn't go back to. It is a world market these days, so I think supporting an American firm is of little value, especially one which has imported Turkish workmen as stated in the last post.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
and the Romualdo site and was able to glean little or no information. These are the types of internet sites one doesn't go back to. It is a world market these days, so I think supporting an American firm is of little value, especially one which has imported Turkish workmen as stated in the last post.
Well, I think that would depend on the quality of the offerings. From what I have heard, John Daniel has a good product and the price is quite attractive. I have no personal experience with their product, but I'd be willing to give them a shot if they were readily accessible to me.

· Registered
106 Posts
Before jumping on the 'imported workers using imported fabrics' thing, I think it is important to realize the state of the US - which is, most all manufacturing has already left our country. Anyone trying to manufacture much in the US is facing an up hill battle, because the infrastructure is gone.

Manufacturing requires more than just skilled labor. It also requires machinery, designers/engineers to set up the machinery, raw materials, etc. Keep in mind, since the manufacturing is gone so are the people and most everything else associated with it. How are US clothing makers going to find skilled machinery operators/tailors with experience when there is no pool of such people in our country? How are they going to make a competitive product if they limit themselves to only US made cloth, which may or may not even exist??

With the current condition of our country, we need to at least respect people who are trying to bring any sort of manufacturing back to the US. It's a serious up-hill battle, especially when you need to balance 'Made in the USA', competitive worldwide quality, and price. If you make a great 'Made in the USA' product that isn't price and quality competitive, no one will buy it. You can see that sentiment right in this thread.

Given the fact that we have lost so much manufacturing infrastructure, some combination of domestic and imported products is the only realistic solution in order to have a competitive, saleable product. This is the best that can be done given our current situation.

· Registered
305 Posts
First there are no high end woolens produced in this country.
Warren Corporation of Stafford Springs, Connecticut is owned by Loro Piana but produces high quality woolens right here in the USA. In fact on occasion you will see a description of a suit on the Brooks Brothers Site that states Tailored from pure wool woven in the USA by Loro Piana, like the link below.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=372&Product_Id=1374011&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Navy

The odd thing about this suit is the Fabric is Made in the USA but the suit is made in Italy, generally it's the other way around.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
As I recall the WSJ article (only the first graf remains online), the JHD execs stated that they went to Turkey to recruit skilled tailors because they could not find enough people locally who wanted to pursue the training necessary for that career, with the implicit addendum, I suppose, of "pursue that career at the wages offered."

Obviously, if JHD could pay tailors say, 90 large a year and remain competitive, I'm sure they'd have no trouble filling those jobs with Americans. But we all know that's not the world we live in.

Turkey they identified through research as a country with a large overhang of skilled tailors, so off the execs went to recruit. The thrust of the article was that the experiment had been a success: Turkey in fact turned out to be a place with a lot of genuinely able but underemployed tailors who were willing to relocate and to work for pay that didn't put JHD out of business.

What sparked the article, of course, was how exceptional all this was: JHD's management had gone to noteworthy lengths to keep their Tennessee factory open. But then again, JHD isn't exactly a retail brand (my sense is that its suits are--or were until recently--generally marketed under someone else's label), so I guess the "sell the name" option of licensing for offshore production wasn't in the cards anyhow.

· Registered
55 Posts
I just kick out of the whole "Buy American" thing. It was like that textile guy named Milliken in South Carolina. He was adamantly opposed to NAFTA, but if you went into his plants he had about 15 workers looking after millions of dollars of Japanese and German machinery running!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.