Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
3,258 Posts
JAB is having a sale?! Will miracles ever cease?!:icon_smile_wink:...just kidding

I actually have a couple dinner jackets from JAB, and considering I don't wear either more than a couple times a year, the quality is fine. I hear the Signature model is actually a very good buy. Nab it. You won't be sorry.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
JAB is having a sale?! Will miracles ever cease?!:icon_smile_wink:...just kidding

I actually have a couple dinner jackets from JAB, and considering I don't wear either more than a couple times a year, the quality is fine. I hear the Signature model is actually a very good buy. Nab it. You won't be sorry.
I realize JAB having a sale is not a rare event, but this particular tux has been mentioned here several times in the past month. Since I'm still new here, not sure if it is considered bad form to start a whole thread on the subject since it does go on sale so often, but I figured a lot of other users might like to know.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
I realize JAB having a sale is not a rare event, but this particular tux has been mentioned here several times in the past month. Since I'm still new here, not sure if it is considered bad form to start a whole thread on the subject since it does go on sale so often, but I figured a lot of other users might like to know.
I'm not criticizing you for letting everyone know. I just find it hilarious how often JAB has sales. Is anything EVER full price there?

You're doing a service by letting everyone know. Well done. I'd buy one myself, but considering I already have 3-4 dinner jackets, I can't justify it.

· Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I'm on the topic, I'm curious if JAB retail stores usually carry a full range of sizes? The suits I currently have vary between 38L and 40L - rare sizes, but ones JAB does make. I can't get to a phone at work so I can't call around to the DC area stores - anyone know if the stores will be likely to have these sizes to try on? Thanks.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
While I'm on the topic, I'm curious if JAB retail stores usually carry a full range of sizes? The suits I currently have vary between 38L and 40L - rare sizes, but ones JAB does make. I can't get to a phone at work so I can't call around to the DC area stores - anyone know if the stores will be likely to have these sizes to try on? Thanks.
They MIGHT have those sizes, but I wouldn't count on it. Like you, I wear an odd size (41R). Sometimes they have a few things that fit me, but most often not.

I suggest you go to a store and, if they don't have what you want in your size, ask that they order it for you. Make sure to mention the dinner jacket is on sale on the Web site because, in my experience with their fairly inadequate salespeople, they often don't have the foggiest as to promotions the company is running.

· Registered
55 Posts
Of the JAB in the DC area I've been to (and there are a lot of them), I've found the one a couple blocks west of the Connecticut Ave Filene's has the largest selection of different sizes. I haven't been in there since early December, so have no idea if they have these DJ in stock. And considering events of the last week, I would not be surprised if stock at most locations is currently depleted.

· Registered
49 Posts
I recently went to a local JAB store to examine the signature dinner jacket and was pleasantly surprised, however there was one issue I had. Somehow the sleeves lacked buttons, though they did still have cuffs. Do they add the buttons on when the jacket is purchased (probably would make some sense if a customer wants working cuffs, but somehow I doubt JAB goes through that trouble) or would I have to find a tailor who can put grosgrain-faced buttons on it? If the latter is the case, does anybody know of anyone in Chicago who could do it for a reasonable price?

· Registered
3,258 Posts
I recently went to a local JAB store to examine the signature dinner jacket and was pleasantly surprised, however there was one issue I had. Somehow the sleeves lacked buttons, though they did still have cuffs. Do they add the buttons on when the jacket is purchased....
They add buttons later...at least they did when I bought a whote dinner jacket there last summer. I think they add working cuffs to their Signature (top-of-the-line) suits, so I'd bet they can do that to the dinner jackets as well. It never hurts to ask.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have both the Signature pl white dinner jacket and the pl tuxedo.

The buttons are not installed and are put in the inside pocket of the jacket. The jackets are prepped for working buttons which most people want these days. I got both on 50% off sales and they are a good buy for those not wearing formal wear more than 3 or 4 times a year.

Beware of the JAB offerings of cummerbund, vests, and ties to match the grosgrain facings of the Sig peak lapel jackets. They are polyester and will make your outfit look bad. You can get Robert Talbott silk faille which is a weave so similar to grosgrain that no one will ever notice the difference. These are frequently on sale at Direct Clothiers on the internet.

Now you can go to BB for a pair of Peal Opera Pumps. For over the calf non-ribbed silk hose, go to Ben Silver. He has them in black, midnight blue, and scarlet. Try scarlet hose with a scarlet silk puff pocket square. The ladies will love you!

· Registered
8 Posts
Robert Talbott Silk Faille Bow Tie

Not to hijack the thread, but this might be of general interest:

What direction does the grain on the Robert Talbott bow tie run? Is it on the bias (~45 degrees, like the Hanauer or Paul Stuart ties), vertical (like the David Donahue tie at L&T), or horizontal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.