Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
JM Weston comparisors

I have my eye on a pair of JM Weston's that look the full ticket. I haven't had experience of these and wonder if they are as good as their price banding suggests.

They are basically at the EG RTW level, though not quite as expensive as JL.

Neither JL or EG have a style I like as much at the moment and don't at present wish to invest/spend the additional for MTO.

Something I noticed on Westons website is that they fill the sole with a straight piece of cork and not the mastic used by other co's, which I'm wondering how this will effect the feel of them.

Can anyone comment on the experienced comparative benefits of Weston others?

SJ

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have my eye on a pair of JM Weston's that look the full ticket. I haven't had experience of these and wonder if they are as good as their price banding suggests.

They are basically at the EG RTW level, though not quite as expensive as JL.

Neither JL or EG have a style I like as much at the moment and don't at present wish to invest/spend the additional for MTO.

Something I noticed on Westons website is that they fill the sole with a straight piece of cork and not the mastic used by other co's, which I'm wondering how this will effect the feel of them.

Can anyone comment on the experienced comparative benefits of Weston others?

SJ
I've not noticed any difference in the feel of the shoe or its performance with a single piece of cork. If anything, I think it might be a little more flexible than other shoes I've had, or that might simply be the sole. It has to be harder to use this than the mixture, but this has been debated endlessly in previous threads.

The pair I have has very fine workmanship in a closely made monk with a thin, closely trimed sole. These are other thoughts from a fairly recent thread -

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=89293&highlight=Weston

I think you'll find a search will offer quite a few threads with most members offering positive comments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flanderian, I did a search and saw this thread. I'm wondering how they fair against the likes of EG , JL and co, who generally are deemed to be at the top. I'm deciding on either 1 Weston & 1 EG or 2 EG or etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thanks Flanderian, I did a search and saw this thread. I'm wondering how they fair against the likes of EG , JL and co, who generally are deemed to be at the top. I'm deciding on either 1 Weston & 1 EG or 2 EG or etc etc.
I'm afraid my familiarity with both brands is a bit old and limited. IMO, EG workmanship might have been slightly better, and EG had lasts closer to traditional English bespoke, whereas some Weston shoes more closely resembled very fine American shoes of an age gone by. The last used for my monks however has a distinct Continental sleekness. I don't have any direct experience with JL.

Hopefully some other members will share their experiences, but I don't know how you could be unhappy with any of the shoes you're considering. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have one pair of Weston, Dark Brown split toe bluchers. They are very nice and very well made. They are a bit on the bigger and heavier side ala an alden or AE looking shoe so I have taken them out of my rotation as of now. I am thinking of putting them back in for a casual look.

I own several JLP and EG shoes. I like them both and would put the workmanship of Weston near JLP and EG. The styles and the fit of JLP is much better for me than Weston or EG.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have been wearing JL RTWs, both the EG-made ones from the early days and the post-EG ones, as well as a variety of Weston models ranging from the classics, such as the Chasse, and some of the more recent Perry designed models. I have no experience with EG-badged EGs.

Weston are by far my favourite RTW shoemakers. That said, I think that the skins JL RTW use for uppers are a shade better than those of JMW. I would say the same about the relative construction quality, with the exception of the Chasse model which I believe has a superb build quality. The soles on JL RTW seem to wear out faster than those of JMW; this is just my unscientific impression so I have no hard data to back it up. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not saying that the upper and construction quality of JMW or the sole quality of JL RTW is poor by any standard. Rather, they are merely opinions about COMPARATIVE quality between the two makers.

Given that the sterling is approaching funny money status with respect to the euro, JMW may have had an upward adjustment on their UK retail prices... In the old exchange rate of about EUR 1.5 to GBP 1, I think that JMW prices represent good value and correctly positioned with respect to JL RTW prices. In other words, I believe you get what you pay for, with respect to one another.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Donuts. I really like the look fo Westons RTW shoes as well; they take classic lines and put their own unique stamp on them, a la classic with a twist. I do think at times classic shoes parading as such can mean old in styling and Westons have a contemporary and individual take that can be refreshing around St James in London.

EG take some time with their MTO and I kind of need a pair now as I want to wear a new pair for interviews and I haven't seen any immediate lines I like in style as much as a pair in Westons.

My gut says that Westons are a very good shoe indeed, though a smidge less than EG, reflected in the price as a true reflection. Do I get them now or wait for EG's, that is the question........................

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a couple of JMWs, several EGs and several JLPs. I can honestly say that JMW make a fabulous shoe. I think the other reviewers are spot on though in their assessments. I have a JMW oxford that fits like a glove, honestly it "pops" when I take them off, it is a fabulous shoe, but I have to say the finish is not up to the same level as my EGs or JLPs. I also have a split toe double sole derby similar to my EG Dover and again the finish on that is not close to the EG and the sole has not lasted nearly as long as the Dover. I personally like the JMWs very much but I have decided that my purchases from now on will be EGs and JLPs. I find the lasts of the EGs are much better for my feet and I am very happy with the EG, 606, 888 and 82 lasts. They simply are just better feeling on my feet.

It seems that you like the style of the JMWs and if that is the case, get them, you will not be disappointed. They are great shoes. Plus after owning a pair it will allow you to truly compare on your own which you like better once you purchase your first pair of EGs.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Manolo Blahnik claimed that JMW was his shoe of choice and as women swear by his shoes and claim them to be extremely comfortable he seems to know what he is doing, so I assume he is a pretty good judge of footwear. But admittedly, I really know nothing.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
You could also look at the selection of EG-made shoes in Ralph Lauren if you haven't done so already. They are made on an exclusive RLPL last (the 89) which may or may not improve some of the designs in your eyes. WS Foster and Son also carry a range of EGs some of which are now made on a new last designed just for them by Mr. Terry Moore their master lastmaker.

Just a couple more options for you if you decide to go down the EG route.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hello,
You could also look at the selection of EG-made shoes in Ralph Lauren if you haven't done so already. They are made on an exclusive RLPL last (the 89) which may or may not improve some of the designs in your eyes. WS Foster and Son also carry a range of EGs some of which are now made on a new last designed just for them by Mr. Terry Moore their master lastmaker.

Just a couple more options for you if you decide to go down the EG route.

Hope this helps,

Chris.
What I'm hearing is that JMW are 9/10 & EG & JL 9.9/10

Are the Fosters EG's branded as EG; what sort of styles do they carry as well ?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
The Fosters EGs are not branded as EG. However they are more than easy to spot and the staff there are always happy to tell you who makes what if you ask anyhow. They carry a range of around 10-15 styles on the old 88 last and also, via MTO only I believe, the new Fosters-designed last.

The RLPL styles are definitely a little more "modern" in design and are also much cheaper if they are still on sale. Lasted shoe trees are included in the price there too.

Another option is the remaining few EGs in the Kurt Geiger stores in London. They only stock 2 models (Chelsea and Sandringham) in wine, navy blue and olive green. However the good news is that the remaining shoes are only £99 a pair if you can track some down in your size.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello,
The Fosters EGs are not branded as EG. However they are more than easy to spot and the staff there are always happy to tell you who makes what if you ask anyhow. They carry a range of around 10-15 styles on the old 88 last and also, via MTO only I believe, the new Fosters-designed last.

Last month I purchased a pair of very nice elongated and slightly chiseled oxfords at Foster's. They were reluctant to tell me who makes them, but as I insisted they said they were hand-made by Crockett & Jones on a last designed by Foster's. A younger salesman previously told me that a very similar, but half-brogued model is made by Edward Green. I had a nice chat in this lovely old-fashioned store.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,
Another option is the remaining few EGs in the Kurt Geiger stores in London. They only stock 2 models (Chelsea and Sandringham) in wine, navy blue and olive green. However the good news is that the remaining shoes are only £99 a pair if you can track some down in your size.

Hope this helps,

Chris.
They can't be their regular shoes for that. Maybe EG cast offs

·
Registered
964 Posts
They can't be their regular shoes for that. Maybe EG cast offs
Hi they're definitely regular shoes. Have you missed all the previous threads here and at SF about them then? They were originally £500-odd a pair but sold so badly that they were reduced to £240-odd, then £175 and finally what's left has been reduced to £99. The odd colours and specs (double leather soles on the Chelsea and Dainites on the suede Sandringhams) have put some people off but there's definitely nothing sub-standard about them.

If you're interested you'll need to act very quickly, though, as there has been an online feeding frenzy as a result of those old threads.
Try the Selfridges, Harrods, South Molton St. and Regent St. stores as they did have the best selection when I got mine a couple of months back.

Chris.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're interested you'll need to act very quickly, though, as there has been an online feeding frenzy as a result of those old threads.
Try the Selfridges, Harrods, South Molton St. and Regent St. stores as they did have the best selection when I got mine a couple of months back.

Chris.
Thanks for the tip on this. Missed this info.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello,
Not a problem. Always happy to help if I can. Hope you can still track some down in your size-I know the Chesleas are now all but impossible to find but there are still some Sandringhams out there.

All the best,

Chris.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.