Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm browsing through the websites of the usual suspects: H&K; H&H; N&L and so forth. Many of the sites don't give me the dimensions of the shirts themselves, so I'm unable to get an impression of how 'big' the shirts are outwith reading the label. Obviously, that's not exactly reliable given the variation of sizes between the resident shirtmakers.

So I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a rough ascending/descending order of size of the shirts from the Jermyn St shirtmakers? Including their (ostensible) slim-fit lines.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Jermyn St shirts are right on as sized....

I have most of the Jermyn St shirt makers and they fit in neck and sleeve as marked. That is, if you buy a 16 x 34 the neck size and sleeve length will be, respectively, 16 inches x 34 Inches. The body of regular fit shirts will give you plenty of room, with the slim fits about 2 inches less than the regular fit. This why I like them. Most shirts made in the US are oversized. If you buy a 16 inch neck, it will be nearly 16.5 inches out of the box. If you are super thin or big and heavy, you won't get a good fit. The nice thing about them is that all the shirt makers roughly correspond to the same pattern so if one fits, another maker will also fit. If you are super thin, you can get the shirt taken in by your tailor. If you're big and heavy, forget Jermyn St. rtw. I am 6' at 168 lbs, and I can wear regular fits nicely. I can also wear slim fits if I want to, but I don't usually order them. Of all the Jermyn St shirts I own (about 80), none have ever shrunk. But I imagine they will if washed in hot water or dried in a drier. If you want chest, shoulder,measurements, e-mail the vendor you're intersted in. I have always had them respond to questions. Duchamp is the only shirt which doesn't fit the normal Jermyn St mold. These run small, but they responded to my questions and I got a good fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have most of the Jermyn St shirt makers and they fit in neck and sleeve as marked. That is, if you buy a 16 x 34 the neck size and sleeve length will be, respectively, 16 inches x 34 Inches. The body of regular fit shirts will give you plenty of room, with the slim fits about 2 inches less than the regular fit. This why I like them. Most shirts made in the US are oversized. If you buy a 16 inch neck, it will be nearly 16.5 inches out of the box. If you are super thin or big and heavy, you won't get a good fit. The nice thing about them is that all the shirt makers roughly correspond to the same pattern so if one fits, another maker will also fit. If you are super thin, you can get the shirt taken in by your tailor. If you're big and heavy, forget Jermyn St. rtw. I am 6' at 168 lbs, and I can wear regular fits nicely. I can also wear slim fits if I want to, but I don't usually order them. Of all the Jermyn St shirts I own (about 80), none have ever shrunk. But I imagine they will if washed in hot water or dried in a drier. If you want chest, shoulder,measurements, e-mail the vendor you're intersted in. I have always had them respond to questions. Duchamp is the only shirt which doesn't fit the normal Jermyn St mold. These run small, but they responded to my questions and I got a good fit.
Well, it was the chest measurements and waist measurements that would have been useful to me in determining the actual fit of the shirt; I would worry if there were a significant deviation in neck and arm sizes from what was printed on the label.

I don't live in the US, so I've never had the experience of buying shirts from Brooks Brothers and the like, but I've about their passing similarities to the average marquee. Thankfully, the average European shirt is slimmer cut.

I'm just concerned about spending a fairly large amount on a shirt and getting one that isn't a reasonable fit; I'm about 6' 1" or 6' 2" and approximately 155lbs, so quite slim. I've heard about the fullness of some manufacturers' cuts, so I just want to try and avoid shirts of this nature.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The Jermyn Street shirts I have include ...

H&K, H&H, CT shirts, T.M. Lewin, T&A, New & Lingwood, Hawes & Curtis, Coles, & Duchamp of London. So you see that I've tried most of the rtw shirts. Some brands have some nuances I like, but I have found the fit to be pretty much the same on all except Duchamp.
Duchamp runs small. My personal preferences are Coles and H&H. On all except Duchamp, I order 16 x 35, then I have my tailor alter the sleeves so they fit perfectly because I have one arm longer than the other so my sleeves must be of different lengths. Out of the box, they all have exact neck and sleeve sizes; that is, if you order a 16" neck it will be 16 inches.

I don't see your problem. Just find out the chest measurement from the vendor. If the slim fit is too large, have an alterations tailor take out some material. If you live near London, go try on a few. As thin as you are, you may have to have some alterations to the shirt body, but it will still be cheaper to buy rtw than MTM. I buy English shirts because I like them, and I find, even with the bad exchange rate, they are cheaper than US better shirt prices. I would recommend H&H (nobody makes a better English stripe shirt) and Coles. I think they both make a slim fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.