Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great looking coat.

Loden/olive flannels would be nice as well.
Thanks. It doesn't get uncomfortably warm here until mid-June, so I'm hoping to wear it this spring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Grey flannels or khakis would be just fine with your new (neat) coat and vest -- as they are with practically any tweed (if beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, grey flannels and khakis must be further proof of the same thing, though not quite as much fun).

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think they come with pants? It does say 3-piece.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had the same item, and no, it doesn't come with pants. It's a two piece or "twin set" as I prefer to call it.

Be advised: it is HEAVY cloth and unmistakably a winter item. I'd be surprised if you weather permitted wearing it much past mid-may and, even if it did, I wouldn't trot it out as it is an intractably winter look.

As for what to wear with it: grey flannels will work as will just about any shade of brown (flannels, I think, are best or a calvary twill). I wouldn't recommend olive, actually.

HL

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
That's a very handsome jacket and vest! I agree with grey flannels being a natural, and many other things as well. Corduroy is natural compliment to tweed also. And the aforementioned flannel, whipcord or cavalry twill. At lot off different shades in the grey, brown, tan and green families should all look good with it,

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same item, and no, it doesn't come with pants. It's a two piece or "twin set" as I prefer to call it.

Be advised: it is HEAVY cloth and unmistakably a winter item. I'd be surprised if you weather permitted wearing it much past mid-may and, even if it did, I wouldn't trot it out as it is an intractably winter look.

As for what to wear with it: grey flannels will work as will just about any shade of brown (flannels, I think, are best or a calvary twill). I wouldn't recommend olive, actually.

HL
Thanks. What type of ties are you wearing with it?

We don't get above the 40s or low 50s until late May generally, so I think I can get a month out of it before putting it away until October.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

HL
I, too, have the "twin set" and agree with Drew that it is a beast of a coat. Between the jacket and vest, I'm certain it would stop a bullet.

I've also worn with cords in a dark khaki.

JB

EDIT: I should note that I tried with considerable effort to track down the fabric to make a pair of trousers for an actual three piece. To no avail. Yet.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It arrived today ... I was very impressed with the quick turnaround time from J. Press. It was my first purchase from them. I fancy the 3/2 rolled jackets, which means they are about the only place where you can find one heavily marked down if you wait long enough.

As I explained, they didn't have my usual size (40-short), so I bought a 41-short. It fit fairly well out of the box, so I wore it to the Good Friday service at church. The sleeves fit well, so I will just have the waist and chest taken in a tad next week at the local tailor if I decide to keep it. (The shoulders are a little more padded than I thought, so I'm not sure if I will keep it.)

And with the climate in Michigan, I should be able to wear it until late May unless it suddenly warms up.

Oh yeah, I wore it with gray flannel slacks from Indochino, brown tassel loafers, and a pink gingham check cutaway-collared shirt with French cuffs from New Zealand's Nicholas Jermyn.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It fit fairly well out of the box, so I wore it to the Good Friday service at church. The sleeves fit well, so I will just have the waist and chest taken in a tad next week at the local tailor if I decide to keep it. (The shoulders are a little more padded than I thought, so I'm not sure if I will keep it.).
Didn't you have to cut the tags off to wear it to church? How would you return it? Maybe I'm naive, but I thought wearing something outside of the house = commitment, unless it turned out to be defective.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't you have to cut the tags off to wear it to church? How would you return it? Maybe I'm naive, but I thought wearing something outside of the house = commitment, unless it turned out to be defective.
I have never had a problem with other retailers when I have taken off tags. Generally, as long as it hasn't been altered, damaged or washed, it can be returned for full credit and/or refund. If not, the credit card company has a easy-to-use dispute process that always produces results.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
EDIT: I should note that I tried with considerable effort to track down the fabric to make a pair of trousers for an actual three piece. To no avail. Yet.
If you ever track down a bolt, let me know. I've got one, too.

As to the question about neckwear with it, that's easy. Always pearls with a twinset.

·
Registered
778 Posts
As I explained, they didn't have my usual size (40-short), so I bought a 41-short. It fit fairly well out of the box, so I wore it to the Good Friday service at church. The sleeves fit well, so I will just have the waist and chest taken in a tad next week at the local tailor if I decide to keep it. (The shoulders are a little more padded than I thought, so I'm not sure if I will keep it.)
J.Press Return Policy said:
No refunds and no exchanges on items discounted 50% or more.
That twinset's (and that's what we call it, too) from Fall 06 and well within the 50% or more sale.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I do not feel badly for taking advantage of big company's lenient return policies. JPress (and others) make plenty of money, and if it takes taking back a "try-out" worn article of clothing to keep a customer in the future, then its also good business. He never had it altered, and did not damage it, so thats good by me.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I do not feel badly for taking advantage of big company's lenient return policies. JPress (and others) make plenty of money, and if it takes taking back a "try-out" worn article of clothing to keep a customer in the future, then its also good business. He never had it altered, and did not damage it, so thats good by me.
I agree completely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.