Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about $90 in Belk gift cards left from my wedding and I am out of stuff to buy with them. I found a pair of J&M Melton cap toes at my local store and am thinking about getting them. I'm wondering if anyone has them or what everyone thinks. They are $165 at Belk but ofcourse I may find them on sale. Would they be a good purchase for $75 or should I just save up for a better pair somewhere else and use my gift cards for some different items? Melton

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I would not regard them as junk. They're a solid shoe - they're not Allen Edmonds, Alden, or Lobb, but they aren't bad.

Don't buy them expecting to be that or you'll be let down.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I had my Melton soles covered with a thin strip of rubber and now use them as my inclement weather dress shoes. They are very comfortable to walk around the city in, and they look quite good from a distance. Yes, close up you can tell that the leather is not as nice as that on more expensive shoes, but how often is someone going to be inspecting your feet that closely? People will notice that they are a black captoe balmoral shoe, and they will think you have excellent taste in footwear. Inside the office and on sunny days, I wear my nicer shoes.

Actually, out of all the dress shoes I have owned, the Melton's are the most comfortable. The arch support fits my foot just right, and my feet are never fatigued after walking in them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats good to hear, I know they aren't AEs or Aldens and wouldn't expect them to be. They do fit what I'm looking for which is a burgundy cap toe dress shoe and I will get them at a good price since I have gift cards to use so I may have to go for it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Instead of a leather insole (the part that is permanently attached to the upper of the shoe, I'm not talking about removable padded insoles), J&M uses a piece of cardboard for the Meltons and most of its other shoes. They are also made of corrected grain leather, I believe. Bottom line is that they are not well made shoes any way you slice it.

If you call the shoe bank, it shouldn't be too hard to find something similar stylewise that is much better quality for about $129. I'd suggest the discontinued Byron or Niles models if you want a good plain black dress shoe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.