Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Glover Sahara Harrow coat?

It has a "dry wax" finish which, according to STP, "is the latest development in the evolution of oilskin fabrics." The price from the STP website is relatively modest at $167.

· Registered
195 Posts
I have this jacket and it IS great. While it doesn't have that great wax smell/feel, it also won't make your chairs or other jackets in your closet waxy. It has the same worn look (after a while) and water-resiliency. It has a very high construction value (Made in England!) and is made of English Millerain fabric. While this may not be a terribly well known brand in the USA, it is well known in the UK and is very highly regarded. I saw some of their woolens in nice, old style shops, and they were more expensive than this jacket!

The sizing, though, is slightly off. Depending on your suit size, I'd order down, even if you are unsure. I'm a 45, and a large (with me in a sweater) still is a bit "large". But good sizing if you're using it like I do, which is as a casual jacket.

I can't reccomend this more highly. Honest.

And the name "Sahara" comes from the type of wax cotton the British Millerain Co. uses for it. If you like fabric information, I highly recommend their website to find out lots of great things.

Go for it- and STP's return policy is stellar.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for your input, HB.

Sorry to pepper you with questions (and I'm posting here b/c I suspect others might be interested): can you comment on the weight of the jacket? Is it appropriate for brisk days, cold days, only rainy days, etc.?

Once again, thank you.

· Registered
195 Posts
The jacket is nice fall-weight (at least in WI)- like a comparable Barbour. It's certainly the wax-cotton jacket we all know and love in weight and water-repellence.

I wore it with a sweater in 45 degree weather and was fine. It is nicely made and will keep the wind out. It's good for rainy days. I have another jacket for when it's rainy and colder which I like. Wax cotton is fall/spring, IMHO, unless you're further south than the NE and MN, WI, and MI.

No problem at all. Glad to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.