Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Given that I bought this "retro" Timex (has the old "Ingersoll" name on it)

directly from Timex for $40, and it has the same water resistance and I'm sure basically has the same case and movement, I'd say J.Crew is ripping you off for about $110. Plus mine has a calendar and theirs doesn't.

If it had a traditional handwound jeweled movement rather than quartz I could understand it, but not this. . . .

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, about six months ago they had a couple of 1950's Rolex Oysters on their website, and they were asking about twice the going rate for them.

I think RL did the same thing a few years back.
Yes, back when the retro look was in in the late Eighties early Nineties, RL used to sell some really nice restored watches, not just Rolexes but all sorts such as Hamiltons, Bulovas. But like you say, they were all outrageously overpriced, maybe two to three times more than you could get the same watch for through a reputable antique watch dealer, if you knew where to look.

I used to love to go look at them at our local RL store, but would never buy one.

· Registered
1,041 Posts
+1 on the Timex Ingersoll reproduction - great little watch. Mine was accidentally ran through the washing machine a few times and, other than the weave of the grosgrain strap loosening a bit, it's none the worse for wear.
Yep, I love mine, probably my all round favorite watch even though I have several I wear for work that cost a lot more money. In addition to using the old Ingersoll name it really has the look of one of the old Timex "Marlins" from the Fifties, down to the red second hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.