Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Looks like the old Benrus and Hamilton military watches from the 1940's-1970's. For less than the $150 you'd spend on J. Crew's quartz knockoff, you could have the real thing. Plenty of these are available on eBay and elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Given that I bought this "retro" Timex (has the old "Ingersoll" name on it)

directly from Timex for $40, and it has the same water resistance and I'm sure basically has the same case and movement, I'd say J.Crew is ripping you off for about $110. Plus mine has a calendar and theirs doesn't.

If it had a traditional handwound jeweled movement rather than quartz I could understand it, but not this. . . .

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, about six months ago they had a couple of 1950's Rolex Oysters on their website, and they were asking about twice the going rate for them.

I think RL did the same thing a few years back.
Yes, back when the retro look was in in the late Eighties early Nineties, RL used to sell some really nice restored watches, not just Rolexes but all sorts such as Hamiltons, Bulovas. But like you say, they were all outrageously overpriced, maybe two to three times more than you could get the same watch for through a reputable antique watch dealer, if you knew where to look.

I used to love to go look at them at our local RL store, but would never buy one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
...if you knew where to look.
Say what you will about RL (and I have), they bring an an outstanding eye to this kind of stuff. The obviously charge quite a premium because the average customer does not know where to go or have the inclination to search out these things. RL has a whole department of "Vintage Buying" that includes the antiques, militaria, etc. Ironically, in the Madison Ave. store they once were selling vintage Tiffany and Asprey antiques, blocks away from the official stores.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Say what you will about RL (and I have), they bring an an outstanding eye to this kind of stuff. The obviously charge quite a premium because the average customer does not know where to go or have the inclination to search out these things. RL has a whole department of "Vintage Buying" that includes the antiques, militaria, etc. Ironically, in the Madison Ave. store they once were selling vintage Tiffany and Asprey antiques, blocks away from the official stores.
I don't disagree, and I'm really glad somebody does.

I actually have a mid '50s Oyster that my fiance commandeered for her own usage. First and foremost, I'm a watch guy, and I guess for someone like me who likes to collect vintage watches (especially Rolex and Seiko), it's preceived value. But the more that popular clothes sellers showcase vintage watches on their websites, the smaller the pools of watches become as people like my fiance think of them as a fashion statement than a time piece. Although, in defense of my lovely future bride, she actually likes it more because it is mine.

Have you seen the price of vintage Rolex over the last couple of years? Sports models have doubled and tripled (although I think that has a lot to do with the weak US dollar).

And if you look at RL catalogs, especially older ones, he usually uses a lot of vintage Rolex sport models in the shots.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's way more than anyone should pay for a new Timex. I agree with the poster who indicated you could buy the real thing (a vintage Benrus) for less money.

I have a Vietnam era Seiko that I'm pretty sure saw action and it cost me a lot less than that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's basically a $50 watch being sold for three times that price.
My sentiments exactly. I refuse to pay more than $50 for anything with a quartz movement. The cheapest of quartz movements will give you about as good time as ones costing 5x as much. That, and I don't like the choppy sweep hand.

One thing I would like to see is a revival of the old Accutron Spaceview, with the tuning fork movement:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
eh
J.Crew's such a popular whipping boy around here.
You know what? they're stuff is overpriced, and has annoying styling quirks (distressing, fading etc).

You know what else? this is clothing and fashion, there isn't a company out there that isn't overpriced and doesn't produce some questionable product.

Even trad forum canon stores like LE, LLB and BB produce loads or junk (or have you not ventured into the elastic-waist-ed pants and fleece area of the LE website?).

I don't mean to come across as such a reactionary, but I've got some great stuff from J.Crew (ties, scarfs, pants, socks etc).
Sure it's overpriced, and I buy exclusively from their sale section, but I also wouldn't dream of paying $79.50 for a made in Malaysia BB ocbd.

Even if their efforts at making preppy/trad style clothing are falling short (and I'll admit they are), at least they're trying, right? Isn't BB frequently chastised for ignoring their trad customers?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My sentiments exactly. I refuse to pay more than $50 for anything with a quartz movement. The cheapest of quartz movements will give you about as good time as ones costing 5x as much. That, and I don't like the choppy sweep hand.
<snip>
I will pay a decent amount of money for a quartz watch if I like it. I'm finding that my vintage automatics are getting too costly to maintain a large collection. My present watch guy is not cheap and while I appreciate his work I have decided that I'll be reducing my inventory. My concern is that I don't see a lot of younger people going into watchmaking and I've already had two guys retire on me in the last five years.

The most interesting quartz movements to me are those that are the most accurate. I am rather impressed that Citizen is able to make a watch that is accurate to 5 seconds a year. Seiko does some that are 10 and 20 seconds per year accurate. ETA makes movements that spec to 15 seconds a year and can be found in a variety of watches.

If you are really interested in a sweep second hand then you need to check out the Seiko spring drive. I've been very tempted by the spring drive marine master or even the grand Seiko dive watch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I will pay a decent amount of money for a quartz watch if I like it. I'm finding that my vintage automatics are getting too costly to maintain a large collection. My present watch guy is not cheap and while I appreciate his work I have decided that I'll be reducing my inventory. My concern is that I don't see a lot of younger people going into watchmaking and I've already had two guys retire on me in the last five years.
Of late I'm a bit more interested in non-automatic watches. Something about the minimalism is appealing. Take the Hamilton Field Mechanical, for example:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Of late I'm a bit more interested in non-automatic watches. Something about the minimalism is appealing. Take the Hamilton Field Mechanical, for example:
Don't get me wrong, that's a nice watch. However, it typically retails for over $300. It's a little larger (38mm) than the classic military-issue watches that it mimics (33mm), and it has a date feature, but when you consider that you can usually find the genuine article for less than $200, the replica loses some of its appeal (IMO).

·
Registered
421 Posts
First off, that watch is only slightly more than my Hamilton quartz.

I think Jcrew's problem is that they cannot or will not divulge certain items. My friend in business school, had mickey drexler recently speak to their class. While i have not gotten the complete rundown of everything, I found many of the things to not only interesting, but also gave me a good deal of respect for him.

The few things i could garner from his presentation is the fact that Jcrew is committed to making high quality garments for mass retail. For instance, their suits (possibly the new suit for the tribeca store) are made with LP fabric. Alden is making shoes for them.

I am trying to get a complete rundown of everything and will update as i move forward.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.