Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing the J Crew website looking for cotton trousers. I like the look of the LudLow fit. Without getting too much into specifics, can someone please tell me what the overall difference between these two are? Both appear to be dressy in the sense of pairing them with button down shirts and dress shoes. Is cotton twill overall dressier than cotton chinos (as per the descriptions)? When it comes to weaves and all that, I'm still a little lost. Would the chino one still be versatile to go with sport shirts and sport coats?

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/pants/chino/ludlow-slimfit-pant-in-stretch-chino/F4031
https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/pants/ludlowslim/ludlow-slimfit-pant-in-cotton-twill/21606

·
Registered
130 Posts
Twill is a type of woven fabric that looks like this:

Either pair of pants will be fine with a more casual jacket or blazer. The type of weave won't matter too much with chinos. The big difference here appears to be that the first pair has some spandex-type synthetic thread woven into the fabric so that the fabric will be stretchy. Twill is a tight weave, so it won't 'stretch' in the same way. I would suggest going with the cotton twill- that's more of your standard chino.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Either pair of pants will be fine with a more casual jacket or blazer. The type of weave won't matter too much with chinos. The big difference here appears to be that the first pair has some spandex-type synthetic thread woven into the fabric so that the fabric will be stretchy. Twill is a tight weave, so it won't 'stretch' in the same way. I would suggest going with the cotton twill- that's more of your standard chino.
Hey

Would you say that the stretch chino one is more casual? That's what a sales person told me via the J Crew website, I'm a little hesitant to believe that. I have a few pairs of BB Milano Advantage chinos that are twill stretch, and they seem to stretch a little after wearing them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Would you say that the stretch chino one is more casual? That's what a sales person told me via the J Crew website, I'm a little hesitant to believe that.
The stretch ones might be slightly more casual, but it's hard to tell much from the website pictures. The twill pair might iron up a little more sharply, but other than that they look about the same.

I have a few pairs of BB Milano Advantage chinos that are twill stretch, and they seem to stretch a little after wearing them.
Most fabrics will stretch and move with the wearer, which is where you end up getting wrinkles. The difference with the elastane fabric is that it will sort of stretch back into its original shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.