Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 776 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
Anyone happen to know what this weave pattern is? Picture from eBay, best can do.

No shoulder size so waiting back. Sorely temped at $23 all in (not sure what a good price for used Harris Tweed is).

Down the slippery slope I go... :p

Thank y'all in advance. :beer:
Adriel, I think your pic's of a waffle weave or a basket weave. @matts will know. Be aware, and you may already know this, that Harris is a manufacturer of cloth not of clothing, usually, so it's possible to get Harris Tweed cloth in a poorly put-together jacket. Though I believe that rare. $23 is a very good price for an on-line Harris purchase; I hear tell second-hand shops are over-run with them, maybe at a better price.

Liked your post regarding woolens in Arizona. I too wear long johns year round. And a night cap in bed in the winter. Coldest it got here at the Peakery last winter was 27°. Inside my upstairs bedroom. Honest.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
When I'm at my usual weight of 156 Lbs which I should be in 3 weeks (5 to go), I'm a 38 or 40 depending on the cut and manufacturer.

I purchase PC waistcoats, Poplin, and chino suits in a 38S. The tweeds are 40S as I almost always am wearing a waistcoat or thin Merino V neck/crew neck sweater underneath. I can make do with a heavier sweater but I like some room underneath.

The Mist Blue 3 button Harris Tweed above is a 40S. I'm wearing an OCBD and bulky sweater so it is on the snug side. In 5 Lbs it will be be perfect. I purchase the Short because of the faux or in case of Chino/Poplin, real working cuff buttons. I'm afraid to try and remove the stitching. I optimally need a 23 5/8 inch sleeve and 38S Poplin, and 40S tweed are 24 inches. So I can shorten them a 1/4 inch and still show some cuff without the cuff buttons getting too close to the edge and looking odd. The Regular has a 25 inch sleeve, too long to do this. The 40S tweed's back length (from the bottom of the collar) of 28.5 inches is just shy of my ideal of 29 inches, the 38S Poplin and chino run longer at 29 inches. Since I have a 29 inch inseam and therefore short legs for my height (5' 9.5"), a 40R tweed would be on the long side anyway.

18 1/4 inch shoulderson the 40S tweed are perfect for me. 18 1/8 inches on the 38S cottons.

And last but not least, the PC shorts as well as the new BB Madison shorts hit my natural waist right on. In the old BB I had to wear the Fitzgerald to get that, and the lapels were a tad narrower than the new Madison which fits me like it was made for me in 40S.

I guess I'm lucky, I couldn't expect better from bespoke. Then again, I adjust my body weight to fit these RTW jackets. 7lbs up and I start dieting to lose 9. That's why I gave away all my "fat" clothes 6 years ago when I lost 68 lbs. NEVER GOING BACK!
Am not the fan of the bottom pictured jacket that others are. And a little too much math in the quoted post. With dress clothing measurements play second fiddle to looks and the jacket appears tight in the shoulders, short in the length and a color, Spring-ish, that seems incompatible with heavy tweed. When you wear stuff underneath be aware that it hikes the jacket up some, so a mirror would seem to be the final arbiter rather than a measuring tape. Congrats though on losing 68 lbs, the exact weight of 10 cats (since my single, now departed one, weighed 6.8 lbs.
-----------------------------------
The latest posting of Flanderian, just above, is superb. Despite the elephant ear lapels

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
If you are going to go bold glen plaid, then, IMO, tone on tone is a good way to do it...
Nice. But tone-on-tone? Looks like just black and gray.

Tone-on-tone connotes, to me, thread of a color woven through, in or on fabric of the same color. As a striped navy suit of mine, the stripes only apparent through shadow and in certain light...because only the weave differs, not the color. Nice outfit tho, the one you showed.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
When the weave creates the pattern, that is a 'self patten' or 'self-on-self'. In the case of your suit that is known as a 'self stripe'. 'Tone-on-tone' means different shades of the same colour. I often see tone-on-tone checks of medium grey on dark grey or medium blue on dark blue. I have a tone-on-tone pinpoint shirt of lilac on purple. But an all white shirt with a shiny satin stripe stripe woven in is a self-on-self or white-on-white.
Thanks for the info.
Will update my brain.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
As with most things, they get more complicated the more you dig into them.

Matt, as always, your depth of knowledge is amazing.

I think I got "self pattern" and "tone-on-tone" now, but what is monochromatic then?

And digging a little deeper into the tone-on-tone thing, is a dark and light grey herringbone pattern tone on tone? My guess leans no, but they are different shades of the same color.
Have never much thought of an item by itself as monochromatic. For example, I have a gingham shirt in red and pink (shoot me), but never think of it as monochromatic tho it probably is. Strikes me that monochrome best refers to a collection of stuff, gray suit, c'coal tie, black shoes, etc. Beige walls, brown sofa, tan curtains (more bullets please). That sort of thing. But Matt may be here any moment to shame me into twisting my thoughts in the proper direction.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
^
When choosing color combinations, or assessing them as being done here, I have to mentally transfer them to a blank wall with moulding top and bottom and a single window in the center sporting drapes. The dominent color of the outfit, here the gray of the coat, is transferred to the wall, the next color, lavender, to the drapes, and the minor color(s), the mottled brown green of the tie, to the moulding. And while never presuming a real room in these colors, it shows me color proportions and juxtapositions devoid of distraction. I'm not crazy about what I see here.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
^

Let's you and I go through the colors here, we may be seeing different things. I see the sweater as lavender as well as the stripes of the shirt. I see the mottled green brown of the woolen tie in the horozontal bars of the sweater and deep lavender (purple) in the decrative horozontals. I see no room for a navy tie or navy at all. The outfit looks a little washed out. I think these classic black/gray h'bone jackets require strength in their surroundings. But then my monitor's a Betty Crocker, so it may be grain o'salt time.

1 - 18 of 776 Posts