Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tide is turning on non-iron cotton. You heard it here first.

Just got my Lands' End men's catalog. The cover and first eight pages are dedicated to "classic cotton". Listen to some of these descriptions:

About the "paintbrush shirts" (really just colorful gingham dress shirts):
"Like all our Classics these are in untreated cotton (you purists will want to give them a try - the shirt has enough substance to look good unironed - just take it out of the dryer when the cycle ends). 100% cotton."

Ok, not great copy, but you get the point.

And "Lands' End Classics for the purist. Original Oxfords, Pinpoints, and Hyde Parks all still made the way you like them: purely natural and with unsurpassed craftsmanship."

I know Lands' End is not Brooks Brothers. But this is definitely a tidal shift and a good start. Words like "Purists"? "Classic"?

This is what we've been waiting for, at least the classic purists among us.

JB

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have written to BB a few times expressing my preference for regular cotton and disdain for non-iron. Truth be told, I am happy with the current BB offerings in regular cotton, solid oxfords and pinpoints and the uni stripes and stripe pinpoints.

But yes this is a good sign.

Danny

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Thank goodness.

Brooks Brothers could use a lilac and mint green OCBD, IMHO. And a pale orange/peach wouldn't kill them. RL has done these colors and I've loved them, but their slim-fit OCBDs are generally sized S,M,L,XL, meaning that the sleeves will be 35" and need to be lopped off leaving a missing button and an overall truncated look. It would be nice to have a bit more exotic of an offering in a more formal sizing scheme.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good for them! I'm glad they've recognized that not everyone wants non-iron and I hope they expand their offerings as a result. Speaking of non-non iron, I can't seem to find the regular cotton khakis on their site. Are they not listed for some reason or could this be a user error? (which is the case many times :icon_smile:)

I may have to pick up one of those madras shirts while I'm at it.

Michael

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank goodness.

Brooks Brothers could use a lilac and mint green OCBD, IMHO. And a pale orange/peach wouldn't kill them. RL has done these colors and I've loved them, but their slim-fit OCBDs are generally sized S,M,L,XL, meaning that the sleeves will be 35" and need to be lopped off leaving a missing button and an overall truncated look. It would be nice to have a bit more exotic of an offering in a more formal sizing scheme.
I'd like to see those colors offered as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was glad to see The Classics expanded in the latest catalog. What wasn't in there, was this seasons madras shirts!

Brian
Nice find! When the glacier retreats and I can give madras shirts the attention they deserve maybe the omission from the current catalog will mean less risk that the ones I want will have been gobbled up by those who are not living where it is 10 below every morning like I am . . .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thank goodness.

Actually they have OCBDs in exact sizes, however, they list for like $145. I picked up a couple during the recent 50% off already reduced prices a couple weekends ago for $25.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.