Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
When you say Brioni are you making a general reference to top-drawer? Or are you using it as shorthand for "overpriced Donald-wear?"

·
Registered
375 Posts
I guess I have been VERY satisfied with my Kitons. Some say that they are overpriced (and they are), clunky (if that is even a word) and stiff, but I love mine. I really haven't worn any other italian models so it is difficult for me to compare.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Brioni carries their own line of shoes, so Brioni would probably be the most common sense answer to the analogy.
Although I heard that brioni shoes are made by lattanzi or berluti, one of the two, Lattanzi is not a bad answer to that analogy too.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
quote:Originally posted by briiian13

Brioni carries their own line of shoes, so Brioni would probably be the most common sense answer to the analogy.
Although I heard that brioni shoes are made by lattanzi or berluti, one of the two, Lattanzi is not a bad answer to that analogy too.
Brioni shoes in the US are made by Lattanzi. Lattanzi shoes are way better than Kiton shoes IMO, but others may differ. Prices are the same.

·
Registered
727 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Romualdo

Anyone familiar Romano Martegani shoes?

Trevor L. Furbay
Proprietor

ROMUALDO TAILORING CO.
www.romualdo.com
I have been very happy with a Martegani I had special ordered through Francos. The normal width is a bit snug on my slightly D+ foot, but the special order fit great.

I received the following shoe

In the following leather (sort of a Balmoral version of the shoe above)

I have also been very pleased with Borgioli. The following is an amazing shoe.

I think Francos gets these made for them by Borgioli at a very nice price point. The problem is they don't stock a large number and I missed out on two pair becuase I didn't order quickly enough (like within the first month they went on line)

I have been frustrated by the inability to track down top of the line Borgioli (check out the website)

Some of these rival the best looking Santoni but I have had no luck finding out how to buy them. Borgioli sent me to some New York vendors who carry shoes made for them by Borgioli, but not the beauties you see on their website.

In the internet age, it is remarkable how primitive marketing and distribution remains for top end shoes...maybe they just don't need the extra business?

Anyway, check out the Martegani and Borgioli with Ron Rider at Francos.

And Ron, if you read this, I am still pouting at the lost Borgiolis. Last time I give my wife a Christmas wish list with something I really want!

·
Registered
727 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rider

Thank you for the compliment!

I will inform you, though, that I no longer work for Franco's...I am the North American agent for Romano Martegani.

Wear our shoes in good health, and ask your favorite local retailer for Martegani shoes!

:D

www.rm1891.com
Sigh....I hope Franco's has been left in good hands...is there a contact there I should contact?

In addition, can you recommend any retailers/mail order that carry Martegani in addition to Franco's?

Good luck with the new job...I hope you revolutionize the delivery and accessibility of fine Italian shoes.

Finally, are the measurements of my custom order still on file with Franco's or Martegani? Can you arrange custom orders....ahhhh I have lost my shoe man!

·
Registered
751 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rider

Thank you for the compliment!

I will inform you, though, that I no longer work for Franco's...I am the North American agent for Romano Martegani.

Wear our shoes in good health, and ask your favorite local retailer for Martegani shoes!

:D

Rider,

Who are you selling to in the midwest(Chicago, Detroit,Indianapolis, etc.)

Thanks,

www.rm1891.com
never apologize for being well dressed or intelligent

·
Registered
231 Posts
quote:Finally, are the measurements of my custom order still on file with Franco's or Martegani?
Both....and you can still reach me at the same email address - I keep my office upstairs in Franco's main store.

quote:Who are you selling to in the midwest(Chicago, Detroit,Indianapolis, etc.)
Our first season at wholesale was concentrated in the North East and the South...we have just begun to speak to some Midwest retailers so we hope work with 4 or 5 accounts by Fall of this year. Currently, I have closed a couple of older retailers that the factory had sold before that were not representing the brand as I would like and we are starting fresh. The Vestry in Detroit is carrying a small group of our shoes that the owner detailed for his shop. Were do you shop?

www.rm1891.com

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The only Italian shoes I like currently are:
Lattanzi
Santoni Limited Editions or FAM Tan socks
Kitons
Also, Vass, does have lasts designed by Ugolini (F Last I believe)
--so in a sense Italian styling with quality second to none---
---------------------------------------------

I've found testoni to be too light and fragile for my tastes.

Constantly Improving my Sartorial Style

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Sophistication

Vass's U and F lasts were originally developed by Mr. Vass for use with the Vass-made Ugolini RTW shoes sold in Japan. It is true that they are intended to mimic toe shapes typical of Ugolini bespoke shoes, but Ugolini did not design them. Vass did.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jcusey

quote:Originally posted by Sophistication

Vass's U and F lasts were originally developed by Mr. Vass for use with the Vass-made Ugolini RTW shoes sold in Japan. It is true that they are intended to mimic toe shapes typical of Ugolini bespoke shoes, but Ugolini did not design them. Vass did.
I stand corrected, I was under the impression from my discussion with Gabor that was the case. Thank you for the more accurate analysis. The net result is a completely handmade shoe with Italian design: longer and narrower.

Constantly Improving my Sartorial Style

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.