Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Over the past two weeks, I've been exploring the wonderful world of Italian dress shirts. It has been both fun and frustrating.

I've found that Canali shirts fit me fairly well, although they are somewhat baggy in the waist. Also, I have to get them in a 17.5 neck size, although all my other non-Italian shirts are 17 neck. That said, they are nice shirts (though hardly the best).

Today, I received a shipment from STP containing a Truzzi and a Corneliano. The Truzzi shirt was simply beautiful. I eagerly pulled it out of the box and tried to put it on, and . . . oops. The shirt is too tight around my biceps. I was and am so disappointed.

As for the Corneliano shirt, I couldn't even get my arm through the sleeve, so Corneliano is a no go. I've also discovered that a Lorenzini doesn't fit properly on my arms either.

I've been talking with the friendly folks at shopthefinest about brands that might fit me. They have suggested Borrelli and Finamore. Does anyone know if these brands run a bit larger in the arms?

I'm also considering trying Truzzi in a 17.5 in the hopes that the arms might be a big larger.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a brand that might work for me out of the better of the Italian shirt companies?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I have 18" upper arms (fully flexed) and find that Valentino Roma and RL Purple Label (which I'm told is made by Lorenzini) in my normal neck size of 18 fit well.

I picked up a Canali on sale at Bloomie's the other day and have been underwhelmed; in fact, it's going back for a refund. The sleeves fit fine both as to length and circumference, but the body is on the short side and rather baggy, and the straight collar seems kind of stiff, a little skimpily proportioned, and generally nothing to write home about. Also, the fabric is too sheer. It's light blue with a subtle stripe, but I can see every detail of my white undershirt beneath it, an effect I find unwelcome.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a 50" chest, about 18" arms and about 18" neck, and find that RLPL, Kiton, Borelli, Fray and Brioni fit great. Loro Piana is a bit sung, but gives a fitted look.

Much to my chagrin, absent a shoe horn and some butter, I can't fit into anything from Brunello Cuccinelli.... :mad: So you might have trouble there, too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The problem is that my arms are 19.5 :(, but i wear a 17 or 17.5 neck. So, I think that makes it somewhat harder (than if I had a larger neck).

But thanks for the recommendations, I will check more into Borelli, Brioni, and RLPL.

About the Canali shirts, they aren't the best out there. But, they are the only brand out of the 4 I've tried that I can fit into.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The problem is that my arms are 19.5 :(, but i wear a 17 or 17.5 neck. So, I think that makes it somewhat harder (than if I had a larger neck).
19.5? Impressive..... Good for you.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am watching this thread with interest specifically for the shirts that DON'T fit you. My 15.5 neck and 14" arms will go try some Truzzi/Corneliano now :eek:

Edit: In fact, I just ordered a pink Truzzi shirt using the AAAC discount from STP - Free shipping and an additional 25% off brought it down to $120!

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
One expedient that could be tried is just to cut the dad-gummed things off, in the manner of the late, great Cincinnati Reds' slugging first baseman, Ted "Big Klu" Kluszewski:

FWIW, btw, I know they're not Italian, but I have a Charvet shirt in size 18 neck that has a generous sleeve fit of which even Big Klu would probably approve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.