Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
I would like to throw my 2 cents in if i could.

I am of Indian Origin, though born and raised in Canada. I was in New Delhi only about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have to say there is an incredible demand there for moderate to luxury goods there - from moderate lux like lacoste all the way up to Zegna, which opened stores last year and are doing phenomenal. On top of that, Zegna is selling fabric to the countries 1000's of independant tailors (which still make up a substantial amount of the shirting and suiting business in India).

People have to remember that India only gained their Independance 60 years ago...before that there were heavily oppressed by the British for the previous 200 years. And thier economy wasn't properly opened up until about 12 years ago. the progress they are making and at the speed they are progressing is unprecidented in the history of the world with perhaps the exception of China. though there is a lot of poverty still, it is less than it was just a few years ago, and it will be even less in the future. Yes, only a fraction of the population can buy lux items, but that is true in every country. it may be a smaller fraction in countries like India, but that is only because the population is so huge. It is projected that by 2015, there will be an UPPER MIDDLE CLASS in India of 300 million people - can you imagine the purchasing power these people will have?

how many years did it take the Western Countries to get where they are today...the US didn't really become a super power until the collapse of Britain after the second world War...so it took them some 150 years what India may achive in half that.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.