Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It describes a torque.

I really enjoyed the Amer/Trad string that Harris started. Made me think of how things were for me here in south central california.
(4-6yrs)My first memories are of these brown, suede, formless shoes--Hush Puppies I think, with these thick, soles that read "GASS" on the bottom.
(6-12yrs) After these orthopedicky things I graduated to weejuns. My mom dressed me in these with grey flannel trousers or khakis, and a navy blue blazer, and a white button down oxford shirt. She's from New England (Mass.) Dad was Trad with a vengeance though not from New England.

(12yrs-23) Khakis were permissible, but had to be frayed along the edges. I had this red and green rugby shirt (I think it was from BB, it was originally my Dad's) that I think must have worn every day in High School and that was frayed too. Dark brown topsiders were correct. Jeans were good (only Levi 501's), but had to have a hole over the knee. In college, I wore button down shirts (never Polo), faded, worn over novelty tees. Black converse oxford sneakers. I ended up not wearing the LL Bean boots my parents bought for me. I was a slob, sort of. There were no dress codes in my day, except for the ones we imposed on ourselves.

After college, wierd experiments. I remember this jean pant that I bought in Europe that were not, in fact jeans, but had this kind of small tattersall pattern. They were narrow at the ankle. Maybe they represented the best in Geneva trad.

Now I'm in my thirties and it's, for the most part (save for an English cut suit) back to the basics. The same manner my mother dressed me, and yet not the same. The loafers are Alden, not Bass. The blazers from Ben Silver, not May co. Close, but not touching...

Also--Harris I was thinking about what you wrote about the "Choatie" look. I think Tom Oliphaunt (sp?) my fall into this category, but I've only seen him from waste up....

Campus point

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.