Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a picture of a man with a reddish brown watch strap and same color shoes.

Any 'unwritten' or 'written' rules regarding that?

I have decided to go with a 'basic' watch (nothing flashly). I read a lot about Seiko's and will do some more reading before a decision. Also, can you get one and then have 3 different colors straps?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
That would be just too much work - to change straps for different shoe choices. While I agree that it may improve the appearance of the whole outfit in some cases, it may look too studied in some others.

I normally do not bother. Matching shoes and belt is normally enough.

I do change straps on some of my watches from time to time, but that is rather seasonal. Now if you want to wear ribbon watch bands...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I usually match them, but only because over the years I have accumulated watches with both brown and black straps. If I were to get dressed and notice that my watch strap did not match, I would not bother to walk back upstairs to change.

Short Answer: No, they don't need to match.

I do like to match shoes and belt however.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Perhaps its just me, but I always think black is formal, brown is casual. If I'm wearing black shoes, its formal and I will wear all black leather trim (ie belt, watchband, ect) For more casual situations I go with brown. The same with metals - Silver goes with silver, gold with gold.

The only exception is the gold signet ring I received for my 16th birthday which I never take off unless I'm playing sports or working on a car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you wear a leather strap it should match. If you wear some other strap then it should match the level of formality of your outfit. Wearing a Casio with a rubber/plastic band doesn't go with a suit. It looked stupid on Bill Clinton and it looks stupid on Paulson. I think that most men would be well served to pick up a nice looking watch with a stainless steel band. Wear the gold watch when you wear the gold belt buckle.

Of course this is coming from a guy who owns at least 20 watches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I match brown with brown and black with black. I used to change the strap over when I had one watch. Now I have a few I have a black band on one, a brown band on another and a stainless steel bracelet on another for casual wear. I don't however worry about the shade of brown precisely matching.

Call me over the top and anal but I prefer to match and if you only have one watch it takes less than a minute to change over the straps. that said, if I forgot and wore a non matching colour I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
811 Posts
As has been suggested - it's not a bad thing if you don't match them, and it might be a nice touch if you do. Few people will notice, most will not care.
I can report, however, that among those who notice those little nicities are women. I have had three very desirable ladies (over the course of ten years or so, so I'm not exactly mobbed) tell me that they are impressed that I always make an effort to do this. I don't know how impressing the opposite sex plays into your wardrobe choices, but it's worth considering that there are those among them that notice.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
As most have said I don't match them either, but I do have a little system. I have a blue face Tag aquaracer, a black face/black strap burberry, and a white face brown strap Tissot. If I'm wearing jeans I will probably wear the brown strap, with chinos or khaki pants, I will wear the Tag, and with black shoes and those type clothes I go with the Burberry. I try not to get too much of the same color all over. Like today its a blue tattersall shirt, dark blue jeans and I'm wearing my penny loafers and brown strap watch. It works for me:aportnoy:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I only have one watch on a strap. It's brown and while it has the ability to be changed out, I probably won't bother to buy a black strap. Since I've been reading AAAC I've started sometimes wearing brown (cordovan actually) shoes with blue suits and that watch is my go-to when I'm wearing cordovan or brown shoes.

I match my other watches to what I'm wearing by the color of the face. I have two that have silver faces which I wear when gray is my predominant color, one that has a black face, and two on gold bracelets (white face and gold face respectively). Today I'm wearing a black face with a burgandy and black bezel, matched with a dark charcoal suit, beige shirt, and black and burgandy tie and suspenders.

As has been pointed out, I'm sure that no one notices this level of coordination, but I greatly enjoy my watches and find this to be a good way to keep them in rotation.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
No.No.And No!

As I have said on other threads and as most others have said here it is simply a step too far to be worrying about things like that.

I even disagree with the several watches with different straps approach, because the watch is the thing! Not what its case or strap do or don't match with.

Last time I looked I didn't have any green, red, gold, and white plastic shoes or belts with Russian icons, Fabergé eggs, and the Russian royal family on them :icon_smile_wink: (strap, case and face on my Treasures of Russia Swatch watch)

View the watch as jewellery to express yourself not as part of your clothes or shoes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.