Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just looking at a suit on e-bay and I was wondering if any of you might be able to confirm if it is fully canvassed.

It's a zegna made for a retailer I've never heard of called 'Ultimo'. The little tag on the back of the neck says that its 'made in Switzerland'. I know that the Swizz made zegnas represent both some of the lowest (ie. the old 'soft' line used to be made there) and the highest quality garment lines.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with the 'Ultimo' retailer and happen to know if they have Zegna make their suits with full canvassing?

Cheers,

Lord Berners

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to perform the fused vs canvassed test:

There is never any fusing in the sleeves (only wool and lining).​
You may ask the seller to do this:

1- With one hand, hold the outer layer (the wool ONLY, no lining) of the sleeve and rub it between your thumb and fingers,

2- with the other hand, hold the thinnest layer you can from the chest area between your thumb and fingers (the outer layer only) and rub it.

Do you feel any difference in how the chest fabric feels in contrast to the sleeve's? If the two rub differently, or if the chest's outer layer feels thicker than that of the sleeve then you know its fused.

If the chest fabric rubs exactly as that of the sleeve then it's canvassed.

Go to local department stores and upscale clothiers in your area and perform the test on their suits to get a better idea of this.

Keep in mind that although some suits ARE fused, the material used is of higher quality and doesn't look much different from a canvassed coat, although "high quality" fusing is not common.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks melbusefi but I'm afraid that the auction closes very soon and I'll never have time to get a response from him in time.

That's why I'm asking here to see if anyone happens to know the specifications that 'Ultimo' lay down to Zegna for their clothing.

Cheers,

Lord Berners

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ultimo

Back in 1997, Daily News Record recognized Ultimo as one of the top specialty stores in the United States. I do not know if they have received any accolades since then, but that is usually enough to let you know that they are a quality retailer. As far as Zegna being made in Switzerland, that is where their clothing factory is. Ask the e-bay seller what the model of the garment is. Roma and Milano models are not fused.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ultimo used to be an upscale store on the Gold Coast in Chicago that catered to men and women with deep pockets. Lots of designer labels, for what that's worth. Not sure if the shop is still on Oak Street; if it is, it caters to women these days.

If you want to know the inner details of Zegna's various ready-to-wear lines, call the store in New York City and speak to the manager.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.